The right place for the right information

homecatmom

Songster
12 Years
Jul 21, 2007
West Covina, California
I am very thankful for this board. This is my first journey into the world of chickens. I have been reading most of the posts and information available here. Today, I was at a friends house and told her that I now have 4 chicks. Her husband asked about a rooster. I said that we are not allowed to have a rooster in the city. He then said, "why have chickens then? You won't get eggs without a rooster." I now KNOW that is not true! Now if someone tells me anything I look it up or ask the experts on the list! Thanks for all the help everyone.

That's exactly how I feel! I have 3 ladies in town(well, 1 is a lady, the other 2 are lady wannabees, meaning they haven't layed yet! And yes, ya don't need a roo! I have learned so much here, and keep learning more everyday!
jumpy.gif

Your friend's husband is repeating a commonly held bit of misinformation.
Think of it this way - a human female produces an egg every month whether there is a man around or not. Chickens don't need a male either. Males are just for fertilizing the eggs.
There are some purists who think that fertilized eggs are "better" for you, but there is no scientific evidence of this.
The biggest benefit of a rooster is that they will protect their girls to the death (most of them, that is). The only other reason you need one is if you are breeding, or if you want to annoy your neighbors early in the morning!
tongue.png

Last edited:
If anyone ever says that to you again, that you won't get eggs without a rooster, just say, "Yeah, and I won't ovulate without a man standing beside me, either, right?"
lau.gif
SAME THING.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom