The right predator?

taprock

Crowing
12 Years
Nov 1, 2010
Northern L.P. Michigan
At our place predators are fair game during the day but at night once the birds are locked up I don't worry. We have had the live trap set recently because something has been tearing into things. In the past months we have caught a skunk, opposum and raccoon. Three nights ago something turned the latch on my pop door, got in and killed a hen sitting on a nest. It ate part of her and her eggs. Thankfully it didn't go up and after the rest of the chickens. Two nights ago I used two latches and set a block against the door. In the morning one latch was torn off, the door torn up and block moved.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

I was sure it had to be a raccoon. One night ago my husband set 4 leg traps around the door and put some eggs as bait. He covered the traps with wax paper and sprinkled dirt to hide them. In the morning all four traps were sprung, eggs eaten but no critter. Last night he reset the traps without hiding them, more eggs. At 3:30 our dogs heard something. Husband went and dispatched the skunk in the trap.

The question do you think the skunk was the original predator or just wandered in after the eggs? I have a hard time picturing a skunk turning the latch and lifting the door to get in. Like I said I was sure it was a raccoon. What do you think?

I have a hard time picturing a skunk turning the latch and lifting the door to get in. Like I said I was sure it was a raccoon. What do you think?
I'm with you... I don't see a skunk turning a latch but definitely a raccoon. The man who built my coop said "if a toddler can open it so can a raccoon." So when he started building coops and was trying out different locks he would have his 3 year old try to open them. He used only those locks the toddler couldn't open and said he has not had a break in into one of his coops in the 6 years he has been building them. I would definitely upgrade your locks and latches. If you can get a cheap game/trail cam or borrow one to put out then you could see what you are dealing with.
Good luck, and I am sorry for your losses.

I think u still have a coon ...maybe a coon family. Skunk was probly attracted by the eggs. Sprinkle flour or cornstarch around tonight and look at the paw prints in the morning. Coons get wise to traps. Look for foot traps. Lock ur coop down like fort knox..

Back
Top Bottom