The run is loaded with flies

I live in southern KY, and heat, poo, and humidity are quite a powerful combination to draw flies. I use the vanilla scented car fresheners (the tree shaped ones).As soon as our weather goes over 80 I hang one on each side of my open air coop/run combo. I swear no flies! Must be the trees, and must be the vanilla scented ones. Tried other vanilla scented fresheners, none of them worked. If we're having a bad year with bugs, I might put new ones up again in July or August but usually just once in late spring is enough to keep the flies away til cold weather sets in again.

My girls run is suddenly loaded with flies. How do I safely rid the run of them? Obviously can't use poison. What's effective but safe? And how do I prevent this from being a routine issue?
My girls run is suddenly loaded with flies. How do I safely rid the run of them? Obviously can't use poison. What's effective but safe? And how do I prevent this from being a routine issue?
We used this fly trap (Walmart) and it works great! Doesn't smell nice if you get close, but that's what attracts them! Just don't put the water in until you have it securely hung! 20220626_065344.jpg

There's gotta be some sort of Old Wives Remedies to get rid of fly..... I'd imagine fly infestation was prevalent in kitchens back in the old days.Look into
look into fly eliminators. There little tiny wasp that help control larvae, they are harmless to us and chickens. They really work

I put one of those stinky fly traps a few feet away from my run and no flies in run or coop. There are others that do not stink they may work too. Also if you have lemon balm you could try hanging that in there. I found that work in my coop really well before I used the trap. Good luck.

I use fly traps honestly. Obviously, something that can’t harm my chickens.
I like homemade fly traps with bottles because its simple and easy. The chickens can’t get to them and they won’t harm the chickens whatsoever. Also why i frequently clean my chickens coop and pick food up when my chickens are sleeping.

For the fly traps i use, i usually follow this:
064BA404-3AB4-43F2-A59D-F173ACA67A11.jpeg
Then you hang it somewhere high out of reach from poultry.

I use FOOD GRADE diatomaceous earth. It is a safe alternative. It starts killing the flies the moment it touches them by dehydrating them and kills the fly eggs as well through the same method. I use it once a week when I clean the coop. I spray/dust it on everything even the ground. It won’t bother the chickens as long as their run or coop had good air flow. You’ll notice when you first use it that it’s REALLY dusty. It can aggravate your airway. I don’t wear a mask, but I know some people do. I use this stuff in the coop, floor of the run, goat stalls, and I also dust the goats with it every couple weeks. It deters the fleas, ticks, and flies off of their coats. I love the stuff! Tractor supply sells large bags (it’s cheaper), or you can buy it off of Amazon or at your local feed store. Hope this helps!

I use fly traps honestly. Obviously, something that can’t harm my chickens.
I like homemade fly traps with bottles because its simple and easy. The chickens can’t get to them and they won’t harm the chickens whatsoever. Also why i frequently clean my chickens coop and pick food up when my chickens are sleeping.

For the fly traps i use, i usually follow this: View attachment 3172814Then you hang it somewhere high out of reach from poultry.
Also, if anyone tries this: Do not put it in somewhere like the coop, and regularly swap it out.

If you put it in the coop, #1. The smell is unbearable. Rotten fruit mixed with dead flies? No thank you. Put it high, secured well, out of reach of children/animals, and where you can’t smell it walking by. Trust me, been there done tha.

#2. These tend to attract more flies, and if your goal is to rid them from the coop, your not gonna have much luck by putting them IN where you want them OUT. Put them somewhat near it, just enough to get the ones traveling by and not bring more into your coop.

If you have a closed run suggest you use a bug trap to hang from the frame, when its full feed the hens with the contents the hens love bugs. We use cheap beer to attract flies and wasps, does not attract bees.

How bad are we talking with the flies? I mean, my run has flies too, they are attracted to the poop that the chickens are constantly dropping.

Might be worth a shot to add more material that will absorb the poop. One popular route for this is to get woodchips to throw in there. I've heard really good things about a site called chipdrop for getting free woodchips from local woodcutters.
Chipdrop is great but be aware that you will need to accept an entire truckload.

Back
Top Bottom