The Saga continues...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ChickenladyinMN, Sep 9, 2010.

1. ChickenladyinMN

ChickenladyinMN Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2008
    Isanti, MN
    [​IMG] so its a sad day today my first and only baby chick to hatch out of a batch of six, died today. We do not know why she was running around in the pen and acting normal all day. The last time we saw her alive was about 5:30pm when the DH went out for a smoke. At 7pm when the DD and I went out to bring them in there she was dead. She was only 4 months and 2 days old. I feel like I am doing something wrong because the other 5 eggs that were with her had babies in them but did not hatch. I tried again with 6 eggs and only got 2 also the other eggs had babies but did not hatch. Then the 4 my DD put under the Banty mum only 2 survived. I am still contemplating having the state veterinarian take a look at this baby that died, because I also lost my 3yr old rooster in June. I hope that it is nothing serious because of all the other chickens that I have.

2. BeckyBird

BeckyBird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2008
    Aww, that is so sad [​IMG] I hope you can find out what happened to your chick. We've all had chicken tragedies, and it is never easy. We try our best to protect them, but sometimes these things just happen. Please don't beat yourself up about it though.

I also mourn the eggs that develop but never hatch. Each and every egg is special, and it really stinks to have babies quit for whatever reason. It happens to me every time I incubate, and it always hurts. Just keep on trying though, that's all I can say [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by