The Scoop from my Coop

Pics
Thanks! In the meantime, could you tell me what you did?
So I trained him to use a stool to jump on a bench. I'd suggest you focus on one bird first and take them to a stress-free environment away from the others (no distraction) to train tham.
Pick a treat that isn't messy and that they like a lot.
The book goes into more detail about how to get them started on it.
  1. First I clicked and treat for any behavior he did (preening, cheeping etc) so he learns that the click means treat
  2. Then I put the treat bowl at the top of the bench and encouraged him to jump on the stool. When he did, Click & treat
  3. I took him down and encouraged him to do it again. Click & Treat
  4. Took him down, C&T when he got on the stool, then encouraged him to jump on the bench.
  5. When he got on the bench, he gets treat jackpot, a click and feeding him multiple treats one at a time.
  6. Took him down and he got a click and small treat at the stool, amd click and jackpot at the bench.
  7. Eventually, he'd know what to do, and would only get a click and treat when he reachedbthe bench
Regular training is needed otherwise they'll forget

So I trained him to use a stool to jump on a bench. I'd suggest you focus on one bird first and take them to a stress-free environment away from the others (no distraction) to train tham.
Pick a treat that isn't messy and that they like a lot.
The book goes into more detail about how to get them started on it.
  1. First I clicked and treat for any behavior he did (preening, cheeping etc) so he learns that the click means treat
  2. Then I put the treat bowl at the top of the bench and encouraged him to jump on the stool. When he did, Click & treat
  3. I took him down and encouraged him to do it again. Click & Treat
  4. Took him down, C&T when he got on the stool, then encouraged him to jump on the bench.
  5. When he got on the bench, he gets treat jackpot, a click and feeding him multiple treats one at a time.
  6. Took him down and he got a click and small treat at the stool, amd click and jackpot at the bench.
  7. Eventually, he'd know what to do, and would only get a click and treat when he reachedbthe bench
Regular training is needed otherwise they'll forget
Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom