1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

The Story of the Crazy Chicken Lady

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by saltandpepper2, Dec 22, 2014.

1. lularat

lularat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2013
    NC
    Nice eggs! And the hens look like they're having a good time scratching around in all those leaves while their man keeps watch.

2. chickenchick12

chickenchick12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2014
    Love your story!

3. saltandpepper2

saltandpepper2 Chillin' With My Peeps

So, the weather has been bloody awful where I live, and I've been out of power for two days. Water won't stay melted, and I'm seriously worried that the chickens will get bumble foot from all of the ice shards that litter my yard... hoping nothing happens! [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    Yikes. Ice storms are a real pain. At least ice shards can't get lodged in a chicken foot like gravel can, since it would melt. I hope your power goes on soon.

5. saltandpepper2

That's true, I had to cull one of my best layers because of Bumble foot, and I guess I'm a tad paranoid! The power finally came back on! Time to get cleaning! lol

6. saltandpepper2

We got snow! And the chickens hate it... with a passion! they waited for me to make trails to the trampoline, then to the deck so that they wouldn't have to step in the snow. lol.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. saltandpepper2

Well, today is a sad day in my house hold, I ended up butchering that blue rooster after him and his elder got in a bloody fight (literally) they were both beat up pretty badly when I separated them, and I had no way of keeping both anymore, so I chose to kill the younger rooster since he was the one that started the fight, and the other rooster has a lot of sentimental value... gosh is was awful. I felt bad just burying him, so I tried to process him, and it went so badly, I accidentally cut open his crop, feather were everywhere... ugh. At least I didn't break the bile bladder!! ( I don't think) I had a few breakdowns, but I'm fine now... just hoping this doesn't happen again.

8. lularat

lularat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2013
    NC
    Oh, so sorry that you had to make that decision. Those calls are hard to make, but you have to do what is right for the rest of the flock.[​IMG]

9. saltandpepper2

We have a broody Mama! I'll be posting pics of her on sunday. Can't wait for the babies [​IMG]

10. saltandpepper2

Update on my chicken's lives! I feel like this thread is very unpopular, but it's kind of become a journal, so I'll continue to do it. I have begun the first preperations of creating a new (larger) chicken coop! This means that I will be able to destroy the original coop *happy dance* The new coop will be 4'x8' and will fit a max of 16 chickens, I only have 9 right now, but I do have a broody on 12 eggs... I know that this doesn't follow the "4sq ft per chicken" rule, but you have to realize that I live in the south, their run is large enough for 20 chickens, and they free range every evening. They are almost NEVER in their coop now, and I doubt that that'll change. Here are some pics of broody, future coop, and rooster that will soon be in the fridge.

[​IMG]
    She is MEAN
    [​IMG]
    Yes, I colour coded it.

[​IMG]
    Coop that will be destroyed [​IMG]( with ameraucauna)
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by