The Story of the Crazy Chicken Lady

Sorry for now update to those few that actually subscribed to this thread, life has been absolutely hectic! and I have a tendency to add on more! The chickens have gone through no drama other than deciding to go off of strike, and the young wild rooster deciding that he's all that. I am happily waiting for the end of February, when I will be getting at least 6 chicks, and 3 ducklings to start off spring! Until then, theses are my most recent pics. To add on to the crazyness, a person decided to dump a puppy on me because the apartment where he lives won't accept her. The poor thing has been abused, and I'm having to act as rehab... oh the joy!

Nice eggs! And the hens look like they're having a good time scratching around in all those leaves while their man keeps watch.

So, the weather has been bloody awful where I live, and I've been out of power for two days. Water won't stay melted, and I'm seriously worried that the chickens will get bumble foot from all of the ice shards that litter my yard... hoping nothing happens!

Well, today is a sad day in my house hold, I ended up butchering that blue rooster after him and his elder got in a bloody fight (literally) they were both beat up pretty badly when I separated them, and I had no way of keeping both anymore, so I chose to kill the younger rooster since he was the one that started the fight, and the other rooster has a lot of sentimental value... gosh is was awful. I felt bad just burying him, so I tried to process him, and it went so badly, I accidentally cut open his crop, feather were everywhere... ugh. At least I didn't break the bile bladder!! ( I don't think) I had a few breakdowns, but I'm fine now... just hoping this doesn't happen again.

Oh, so sorry that you had to make that decision. Those calls are hard to make, but you have to do what is right for the rest of the flock.
hugs.gif

Update on my chicken's lives! I feel like this thread is very unpopular, but it's kind of become a journal, so I'll continue to do it. I have begun the first preperations of creating a new (larger) chicken coop! This means that I will be able to destroy the original coop *happy dance* The new coop will be 4'x8' and will fit a max of 16 chickens, I only have 9 right now, but I do have a broody on 12 eggs... I know that this doesn't follow the "4sq ft per chicken" rule, but you have to realize that I live in the south, their run is large enough for 20 chickens, and they free range every evening. They are almost NEVER in their coop now, and I doubt that that'll change. Here are some pics of broody, future coop, and rooster that will soon be in the fridge.

She is MEAN

Yes, I colour coded it.

Coop that will be destroyed
wee.gif
( with ameraucauna)

Back
Top Bottom