The strange tale of an amorous roo...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lilhippiemomma, Apr 17, 2012.

1. lilhippiemomma

lilhippiemomma Out Of The Brooder

Nov 30, 2011
    Ok, I have a rather odd problem with my Silkie rooster, Snaggle-roo.

First of all, I call him Snaggle-roo because he has a very crooked beak. I saw him at a poultry swap and just felt so sorry for him that I had to bring him home. Now that his beak's been trimmed down to a manageable level and he's been eating, he's blossomed into an incredible sweet little roo. He's very full of himself, but not really aggressive in the least.

I have 15 hens. None of them are bantams. They're Orpingtons, Sussex, and Naked Necks. Snaggle-roo seems happy to be around other chickens, but he doesn't really interact with them. Sometimes he just stands and peers at them, like a creeper looking through a hole to the girl's locker room, but that's about it.

Rather, it seems at if all his amorous rooster hormones are directed towards...me.

He follows me everywhere. He loves to be petted and cuddled. He dances all his little rooster courtship dances for me. (reminds me of the electric slide.) If the barn cat or my dog gets too close to me while he's trying to show off, he chases them away. This morning, he charged a robin that he decided was too close to me. And let's just say, that he's tried on at least one occasion to jump me.... Ahem...

It's not like he's dangerous or anything. He's just an amorous ball of cute fluff. But has anyone ever experienced something like this? A rooster with no interest whatsoever in hens, but an intense interest in his human caretaker? He's a little under a year old, or so they guy I got him from told me. Maybe he's just confused? It's really not enough of a problem to do anything about, but I'm just curious. This can't be normal.

2. RedDrgn

RedDrgn Anachronistic Anomaly

May 11, 2011
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    Well, he's definitely confused. [​IMG]

I've read other stories of young roos directing their attentions to towards the wrong species....sometimes inanimate objects. [​IMG] Ours doesn't have that issue, but I know others have. It's pretty funny, but as long as he's not hurting anybody, then I guess all is good...if odd!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by