The Stuff of Nightmares (for a chicken, that is)

NadaSpringCkn

Hatching
May 18, 2016
Hello all.

I'm in year number two of raising chickens, so a virtual newbie here. I'm just AMAZED at how much personality they have. For example, I recall one poster on this forum saying that he had never met a chicken who didn't like blueberries. Well, he never met my chickens--they don't like blueberries, strawberries, cranberries, grapes, or carrots.

But what really cracks me up about my girls (four Dominikers) is what they are "chicken" about. Here are some of the crazy things that strike terror in their little chicken hearts:

1. red cabbage: So much for making those cabbage pinata things for them.

2. hats: Actually, if someone is wearing the hat, then all is hunkydory, but the minute you take that scary thing off, the headless horseman emerges and all manner of squawking, flapping, and running for the hills ensues!

3. mice: This only applies in certain situations, though. When the cat brought a live mouse up and dropped it in front of the chickens while they were out free ranging, they were infinitely interested; in fact, they were so interested that I felt the need to guard the mouse from the chickens lest things went south--fast. BUT when a mouse ran through the chicken coop, it was "snatch up your petticoats and jump on the nearest container," complete with squawking and fussing.

4. the little green cage that holds treat cubes: For some reason, this horrid little thing is truly something to be frightened out of your mind about--even though it includes their favorite treat (mealworms). When treats are in that scary thing, that other horrible monster (the mice) can just have it. Sigh!

And then there are the things that they OUGHT to be scared of, but aren't--like foxes (probably because the next door neighbor's dog looks similar to a fox and they're used to her), and snakes (the girls all line up to survey the poor snake while making soft "bok bok" noises--my husband says they're planning out how to divide this long worm into four pieces), and lawn mowers, and cats.

So what silly things are your chickens "chicken" of?

Welcome to BYC!
welcome-byc.gif
We're so glad you joined us!
big_smile.png

What you wrote is a masterpiece; it's just so hilariously worded!
lau.gif
There's very little that our girls are afraid of, I have to wrack my brain to come up with anything.
hu.gif
Ummmm.....our newest 24 chicks are afraid of spaghetti.
lol.png
I tried holding some out for them to taste for the first time, and they immediately stood on their tippy toes and began squawking at it defensively like it was a hideous monster come to eat them alive. They would scream and jump back whenever I moved it closer!
gig.gif
Funniest part is that the older 25 hens and 6 ducks love pasta or any food of any type. I still ponder about it: what could possibly be so scary about noodles?

~Alex

Last edited:
My newest pullets are terrified of strawberry tops.... And eggs. Yeah, eggs are run-for-the-hills scary. :rolleyes:
-Banti

Before my full grown hen was taken by the fox, she was terrified of gardening gloves. I found a worm and knew that she absolutely loved worms, but every time I tried to give it to her, she fled in sheer terror. It took me a bit to figure out what was wrong with her. Later, with no gloves, I went to pick her up and no problem.

Back
Top Bottom