The Substitute "Which Breed Game"

Hi everyone....

Having trouble with one hen being very aggressive jumping on the backs of the rest of the flock and pecking them one of the hens Elenor is now in sick bay she has been pecked in the chest and despite bathing it's not looking good she is still eating and drinking with my encouragement but she is very unwell.what should I do about Amelia ...separate her for being aggressive? ?Amelia is an astralorp and elenor is a Rhode Island red.
????
Jod69

@Jod46 - i am not sure. i suggest separating her before further damage though. is the wound raw? or is it like a scab? try spraying it with blue-kote. it cleans the wound and makes it taste bad to the other chickens so they won't peck. i have treated my roo Hats with blue-kote before.

those are pics of Hats.
keep spraying with blue kote until they stop pecking. i am just gonna say, the blue-kote (or wound-kote) is purple/blue. it will temporarily dye your chicken blue/purple.
also, only spray on the wound area. use enough to cover it well, but use as little as possible. only the amount needed.
hope this helps!

Hi everyone....

Having trouble with one hen being very aggressive jumping on the backs of the rest of the flock and pecking them one of the hens Elenor is now in sick bay she has been pecked in the chest and despite bathing it's not looking good she is still eating and drinking with my encouragement but she is very unwell.what should I do about Amelia ...separate her for being aggressive? ?Amelia is an astralorp and elenor is a Rhode Island red.
????
Jod69

Not really where this question belonged... but
welcome-byc.gif

I would recommend putting her in a dog crate within or beside you run so she can see the other hens but not chase them. Do this for approx. a week to 2 weeks so the pecking order a reestablished, when you release her everyone else should be above her (in theory).

Also would treat the other hen with a bit TLC until the wound is not longer red or open.
Chickens are attracted to the color red and will kill and eat one another if you aren't careful about wounds.

If you don't have a rooster chances are she is acting in place of one.
If all else fails get yourself a rooster, he should put a stop to all the hen squabble.

Not really where this question belonged... but :welcome

I would recommend putting her in a dog crate within or beside you run so she can see the other hens but not chase them. Do this for approx. a week to 2 weeks so the pecking order a reestablished, when you release her everyone else should be above her (in theory).

Also would treat the other hen with a bit TLC until the wound is not longer red or open.
Chickens are attracted to the color red and will kill and eat one another if you aren't careful about wounds.

If you don't have a rooster chances are she is acting in place of one.
If all else fails get yourself a rooster, he should put a stop to all the hen squabble.

Back
Top Bottom