The survivor of 2 hawk attacks and 1 racoon attack (little graphic)

Oh I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. I know how you feel. I'm raising 10 little Wyandotte chicks right now! I loved her so much I think this is a great breed.
hugs.gif

Can you put a pick of the wound and do you think you should start her on antibiotics or can someone recommend how to prevent sepsis?

Last edited:
Any bite by a predator is likely to get infected. I keep the injectable Pen G here just in case. Any injury such as an attack or dirty wound gets a good cleaning and several days of Pen G injections. Usually 1 ml per 10 lbs daily. I also give them an energy boost with a dose of Poultry Cell, a liquid vitamin/mineral supplement. If they wont eat or drink I will tube feed them for a few days to sustain them.

Sorry to hear of your loss Spanishchick. Sometimes the stress of the attack is too much for them, but it does sound like your bird had an infection.

Last edited:
I agree I need to get Pen G. Where do you buy it?
And thanks, she was crushed it was a coopers hawk and they crush them.
If it was just the cut I am sure she would have made it.
She'll always be in our hearts.

Last edited:
I had one just about a month ago that was attacked by a hawk. He tumbled her around pretty good and had one area of her well plucked. My dog alerted me and I went outside just in time to see a ruckus behind the coop. Found her laying in the snow and the hawk sitting in the tree. Hens just seem to give up when attacked. She was laying so still I thought she was dead, but she was well alive. I found two cuts on her back and that was it. Her eye seemed to be affected also, likely from laying in the snow. She started using it again after several days. Anyway, she recovered after a few days of isolation and tlc.

You can find injectable Pen G at just about any feed store. My local Farmer's Co-op carries it, some vet supply stores carry it, and Tractor supply may even carry it. It is usually in their refrigerated section where they store vaccines and such. Any store that supplies the farm should carry it and a host of other remedies for farm animals. I don't think it's labeled for chickens but you can use it. A vet told me once to use a tenth of a cc for chickens per injection. It's kind of thick so don't use a needle smaller than 20 gauge. If you can't find it locally, it is available online, but shipping would be pricey because of the refrigeration.

Last edited:
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom