The Tetra Tint thread.. (Photos, info) ❤

Pics
Quote:
I believe you. more and more people have chicks that have black feathering. Are Ancona noisy birds? because mine sure do alot of talking....more than just bwak bwak bwak. But hey I'm new to chickens maybe they all make the same noises as mine bwak,cluck, purr, bark, growling kind of sound, little chickie peeping noises and many others

Ancona are a lot like Leghorn in fact I believe at one time they were called the Mottled Leghorn.
Both the Ancona and the Leghorn came from Italy, and from the area from which they are named after.

Chris

Quote:
Not to rain on your parade...but by the tail end of things...those are looking like roos! Sorry!

X2 I wanted to say the same thing cause my roos all had the red or gold bleeding on the wing feathers none of the hens had that. Hens had the black spots some with gold edges on the neck feathers.

Quote:
Not to rain on your parade...but by the tail end of things...those are looking like roos! Sorry!

X2 I wanted to say the same thing cause my roos all had the red or gold bleeding on the wing feathers none of the hens had that. Hens had the black spots some with gold edges on the neck feathers.

At what age can you tell for sure that they are roos mine are pushing 12 weeks?

Hey all,

New to the thread here. I recently got eight Tetra Tint's and three Bantams. They said the Tetras were all pullets and the Bantams were unknown. One Tetra didn't make it but the others are doing well. I couldn't help but notice most of the tetras on here have all yellow. Some of mine have black spots and I'm seeing now that one of my tetras is growing brown feathers on its belly. Looks nothing like the white ones above!!!

If you're interested in pictures please let me know and I will get some up.

Wanted also to ask if you all think the Bantam Silkies will be OK with the Tetra Tints once they grow up?

Wow, too funny! Just a couple hours ago i posted how my white leghorn?? were learning better than my reds, then i find this thread and find out that it appears to be a trait of the breed. my tetras look exactly like the others.
I found this thread because i saw another one a few weeks ago on tetras, so i was searching tonight for what breed they were. I am now convinced mine are tt's. bought @ tsc also.

I have been following the various Tetra threads here for quite some time. The reason being I cross bread Leghorn hen and RIR roo last year long before TSC came out with them and it caught my interest. I have made the following observations.

1. Chicks are a very pale yellow, platnum blond, if you will. With sparse black spots.
2. Females have a few spots, males have none or a couple.
3. They both feather out to white with spots, females spots becoming larger especially if they're on the wings and later develope gold
lacing on the neck. Males spots molt out and develope gold or red bleeding or splashes on the wings with gold neck lacing.
4. Females body confirmation is more like a RIR. Males are more like a Leghorn but larger.
5. Females start to lay at approx. 17 wks. and I had one go broody at 20 wks. She hatched 4 out of 4. They are three days old today
but they are not her eggs. She is in the pullet coop. No roo. So I gave her fertile eggs.

These were 3 different hatches for a total of 13 chicks. I have posted pics them on various posts on this forum and I would post links but I don't know how to to that yet lol.
Hope this helps someone.

BYC ROCKS !!!!!
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
Hatcheries have been crossing Leghorn blood into breeds for years. The typical production has Leghorn blood in them.
The thing is that the Titra Tint is more than just a Leghorn / R.I. Red cross, you wont get Greenish legs and Mottled legs from that cross.
wink.png

I'm betting they have Ancona blood running in them and very little if any Leghorn in them.

Chris

Last edited:
I went to Mt Healthy's website. They don't carry games or anaconas. I was hoping to work backwards from what they have to sell and figure the cross of parents from there... I've bought EEs from them before and know they hatch in house.
Help anyone?

If it's any help, I called Mt. Healthy and they told me it was a cross between a Leghorn male and RIR female. I bought 6 from TSC and had never heard of them before. They were supposed to be all pullets but funny thing is, they are about 3 wks old now and three have distinct tail feathers while three dont so I think I probably have 3 pullets and 3 roos. They seem to be very hardy and can fly up on top of things at a very early age
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom