The Trap Nesting Thread

56493_trap_nest_008.jpg
this is the back view of the trap nest

Last edited:
i'll post more later .......for anyone thats interested.......right now i gotta go check my trapnests.........

Last edited:
peeping back in for a minute, i just came in off the yard......all my birds except 2 barred rocks had stop laying since july.....here in the south that 100 degree heat made them shut down ......now today i can tell you exactly [lollipop] that rir number 1 and 2 each started laying again......and pearl one of my australorps.....i didnt have to seperate them or anything.....didnt have to go at nite to mess with them.......and if i had put pearl with a roo last week.....more than likely her egg is fertilized.....they dont have to re-establish pecking order.......i dont have to make a pen for such as u stated......all is well......it couldnt be more effective..

56493_trap_005.jpg
56493_trap_nest_2_002.jpg
oldskool leg hook thingy.....i dont run after them anymore....lol
made from a bucket handle and scrap wood

Last edited:
56493_trap_001.jpg

a 100 year old design works just as good today as it did then.......i modified it by using the belgian 2 piece door concept.......door doesnt slam shut .....i'm very happy with my research and i'm very happy with the results thus far.......its gonna be an interesting year......the girls cant pull any tricks .......the mystery is gone......trust me this box is for certain

[note] the line on the floor of the box is where i line the front of the smaller box up at

Last edited:
How does the Belgian door work? I get that when the hen goes in and touches it, it comes down. But how is it held up until then, and what causes it to come down slowly?

Once all your hens start laying, won't you need a trap nest for every hen? They can't share those next boxes.

Your pic with the BR's head out the hole is priceless. She looks like she's in the stocks. :LOL I wondered why there was the diamond hole.

56493_trap_nest_004.jpg

i wondered the same thing when i saw the belgian style boxes.....the lower part of the door can be set to rest just above horizontal......or one can nail a small finishing nail to one side like in pic......i used an ink pen to create a little groove on the bottom of door about 1/4 inch......this groove sits on the nail.......door goes down slowly because the hen tries to creep her way in..lol
i have 20 hens, i plan to use 10 trapnests, checked twice a day.....the stuff i've read says to check every 2 hours.....i'm gonna see how that goes.....

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom