The truth about chicken wire

So I know chicken wire is a no no when keeping predators out, but if that is all I have is there potentially a way to make it work? Like layering the chicken wire? I have an abundance of it and I really would rather not waste it and spend a fortune on hardware cloth.
If that’s all you’ve got, then yes use it. But I would definitely overlap it.

Farmers been using chicken wire for as long its been around. Predators can get through anything if they’re determined enough and are given enough time to. The key is to not give them the time; if a coon is willing to spend more than a couple of minutes smelling around your coop before running off in anticipatory horror of the fanged hades that is about to be unleashed on him, you’re not giving your yard adequate security.

I’ve used chicken wire my whole life with no problems.

Last edited:
So I know chicken wire is a no no when keeping predators out, but if that is all I have is there potentially a way to make it work? Like layering the chicken wire? I have an abundance of it and I really would rather not waste it and spend a fortune on hardware cloth.
Run several well placed strands of hot wire around the set up.

Farmers been using chicken wire for as long its been around. Predators can get through anything if they’re determined enough and are given enough time to. The key is to not give them the time; if a coon is willing to spend more than a couple of minutes smelling around your coop before running off in anticipatory horror of the fanged hades that is about to be unleashed on him, you’re not giving your yard adequate security.

I’ve used chicken wire my whole life with no problems.
What would be considered adequate security? We have dogs but at night they come inside.

Back
Top Bottom