The truth about chicken wire

The key is to not give them the time; if a coon is willing to spend more than a couple of minutes smelling around your coop before running off in anticipatory horror of the fanged hades that is about to be unleashed on him, you’re not giving your yard adequate security.

I’ve used chicken wire my whole life with no problems.

I ran out the other night when I heard a loud banging / pinging noise to find a racoon on the upper half of the door with a heavy gauge wire - about 14g I think (it was a scrap).
It was making the wire flex which was part of the racket when it bounced back.
When I got down there I tried to recreate the movement, but my fingers aren't strong enough. That coon had some muscle!
My JRT does hunt it but without success.
And we've been trying to trap this coon for weeks, it won't take the bait 😒

The only way I, personally, would use chicken wire is with a stronger wire backing it up - like the 2x4 no-climb fencing. Or for a daytime run. Night security is a lot more demanding IME.

So I know chicken wire is a no no when keeping predators out, but if that is all I have is there potentially a way to make it work? Like layering the chicken wire? I have an abundance of it and I really would rather not waste it and spend a fortune on hardware cloth.
Don't do it. I have movable pens with it for daytime use only because I have dogs out too. We've had raccoons rip huge holes in it when there's not even chickens/ducks in the pens! It won't stand up for 10 minutes to a coon that wants to get in!

Don't do it. I have movable pens with it for daytime use only because I have dogs out too. We've had raccoons rip huge holes in it when there's not even chickens/ducks in the pens! It won't stand up for 10 minutes to a coon that wants to get in!
That’s insane good to know as well because I was wanting to make a tractor for bunnies with chicken wire 😂😂 now I have to rethink my decisions

So now what do I do with a 50lb bag of a DE 😂😅
I have used it as a deterrent for indoor bugs - but only a light dusting put it places where it doesn’t get disturbed like behind the fridge, under the stove, etc. Not sure how well it works, but it made me feel better when we had a small dog and bugs and I was leery of pesticides.

And I am assuming this is “food grade” - if not, give it to someone who needs it for a pool filter or something. But food grade can also be mixed in potting soil (it contains silica, calcium, magnesium, etc). It is used in the food industry to keep stuff from caking during transit/storage, so that could be a use if you make your own feed. Some people take it as a health supplement (mix it in a liquid like fiver powder), but there isn’t much evidence supporting it. 🤷‍♀️

The main thing is you don’t want it getting kicked up or blown around, since the tiny sharp particles can hurt your lungs.

I have used it as a deterrent for indoor bugs - but only a light dusting put it places where it doesn’t get disturbed like behind the fridge, under the stove, etc. Not sure how well it works, but it made me feel better when we had a small dog and bugs and I was leery of pesticides.

And I am assuming this is “food grade” - if not, give it to someone who needs it for a pool filter or something. But food grade can also be mixed in potting soil (it contains silica, calcium, magnesium, etc). It is used in the food industry to keep stuff from caking during transit/storage, so that could be a use if you make your own feed. Some people take it as a health supplement (mix it in a liquid like fiver powder), but there isn’t much evidence supporting it. 🤷‍♀️

The main thing is you don’t want it getting kicked up or blown around, since the tiny sharp particles can hurt your lungs.
Thank you for all the neat ideas!

Back
Top Bottom