The ULTIMATE list of DUCK Treats and Supplements...

Pics
This is probably in here somewhere, but I want to add that this evening my son and i were re-arranging some landscape stones inside our duck area and under every stone were several earth worms. Our ducks went crazy eating them! I dont know if the nutritional value of them but boy they enjoyed them.

Mine, too. Every morning when I let my ducks out of their pen, they wait by the various tubs in the yard. They wait for me to flip them over for the stash of worms that make their way to the top overnight. Poor worms but the ducks slurp them up like spaghetti.

Just finished feeding my new trout runners 2 oranges, which they loved. I'm glad I found out about effects of citrus before it was too late :) I definitely will be buying DUCK DIAPERS and SHOES at some point! LOL That is the cutest thing ever.
Thank you for the post!

Black soldier fly larvae
yippiechickie.gif

Tomato leaves, eggplant leaves and all of the brassica family can be harmful to ducks. This is from a vetinary textbook I have on poisonous plants with reference specifically to animal groups. So that includes cabbages, broccoli, bok choi, cauliflower etc. Obviously it would be in larger amounts or build up over time. I have chosen not to feed anymore after having sick ducks with no other explanation.

This information is from:
Australia's Poisonous Plants, Fungi and Cynobacteria, A Guide to Species of Medical and Veterinary Importance, Ross McKenzie, 2012, CSIRO Publishing.

Mustards, rapes, cabbages and others (Brassicaceae / Cruciferae)

Toxic part of plant: Flower and seed heads contain the most sulphur, SMCO and glucosinolates but all above ground parts contain these constituents. Nitrate is concentrated in stems but toxic amounts can occur in leaves. Sulphur, nitrate, SMCO affect only ruminants while glucosinolates affect poultry, ruminants and pigs.

Tomato and Eggplant leaves I understand are part of the solonacae family which includes potatoes, also toxic aerial parts.

Hope this helps, great book if you have a few animals and lots of plants.

Back
Top Bottom