The United Nation of Asparagus Lovers

Member head count

• Total voters
Pics
Caught in 4K:
Screenshot 2021-11-24 4.03.32 PM.png

Traitor 😭

I grow asparagus, I have hundreds of plants. I start harvesting 2-3 weeks after the snow melts until Summer solstice. It provides something to eat long before any seedlings in the garden are ready to eat. I usually prepare about a pound a day to eat, which is a lot more asparagus than I can afford to buy. Sometimes I have so much asparagus I sell or give away the surplus.

In the winter I buy Mexican or Peruvian asparagus. It is grown all year round in the desert. Sometimes it’s not very good because it sits around in trucks, warehouses and stores too long before I get it.

IMO everyone who can grow there own should do it. It grows first thing every spring for up to 40 years. You can have your chickens weed the patch for you and they won’t kill the Asparagus..

I grow asparagus, I have hundreds of plants. I start harvesting 2-3 weeks after the snow melts until Summer solstice. It provides something to eat long before any seedlings in the garden are ready to eat. I usually prepare about a pound a day to eat, which is a lot more asparagus than I can afford to buy. Sometimes I have so much asparagus I sell or give away the surplus.

In the winter I buy Mexican or Peruvian asparagus. It is grown all year round in the desert. Sometimes it’s not very good because it sits around in trucks, warehouses and stores too long before I get it.

IMO everyone who can grow there own should do it. It grows first thing every spring for up to 40 years. You can have your chickens weed the patch for you and they won’t kill the Asparagus..
Yeah we have grown it! :)

I like some fresh picked asparagus raw when it tastes like fresh peas.
It can be really nice steamed or boiled to just the right point. You can use a potato peeler to peel the bottom of the stalk to remove tough skin that won’t be tender before the rest turns mushy while cooking or prop it up so the bottoms are in the water but the tops are only in the steam. Then the bottom will cook before the top.
A better way to prepare asparagus is to sauté or fry it in some oil until tender. Use a skillet, frypan or wok with a lid to cook it tender without burning it.
My favorite way to cook it is on the grill. Brush the stalks with oil and grill until tender. If you don’t have a hood on your grill or fire wrap it in foil.

Back
Top Bottom