The updated pictures of my skin/feather problem post last night

mhoward92

Songster
12 Years
Oct 5, 2007
Well i have been noticing that my hens are starting to have bald patches on their back. (in the center right before their tailfeathers begin and were their wing feathers "V-off" It does not look really irratated but very dry and almost scaley looking. the feathers are obviously gone too in that area. at first i thought it was a but in the coop but its only happening on my Araucanas... I don't see them picking at it when im watching but it proceeds to get worse daily. I know its not major (at least at this point) but i know if not treated it can get nasty. What would you treat it with??? Its too late to go take pictures...ill take some tomorrow and post them im sure you all will know what it is exactly then. but any ideas/comments would help me out.

Thanks in advance

Mitch

(UPDATE)

HERE ARE THE PICTURES THAT I SAID I WOULD GET!!

NOTE:: THIS ONE IS NOT NEAR AS BAD AS THE OTHER 2. BUT TH PICTURE STILL SHOWS IT UP CLOSE IN DETAIL.

AS YOU CAN SEE THE SKIN IS VERY DRY AND A PALE YELLOW LOOKING COLOR. ITS NOT PINK AND TENDER LIKE IT SHOULD BE

100_0152.jpg

THIS ONE JUST SHOWS THE LOCATION OF IT
100_0151.jpg

Looks to me like where a rooster is wearing them off with mating. If you don't have a rooster I have no idea why the feathers would be missing there. LOL

hmm... its funny because never THOUGHT i had roos. I orderd 25 pullets. Maybe i should inspect them closer, because come to think of it i have never really looked at EVERY one of their features. i just assumed since there were no obvious signs. But its just odd that this is only happening to my 1 breed.

Some of my Ameracuanas look like that right now too. Our Rooster does not get in with the ladies. He can only see them threw wire.

Hi! Okay....I do not have a rooster and this is exactly what my two acrunas looked like at first! Now they have progressed to a loss of feathers on their butt (missing the petticoat)...I thought the other chickens were pecking them but I couldn't figure out why it would just be the two black chickens.

I am worried because yesterday I saw a thin spot on one of my RIR. This has to be something other than a rooster mating!

sad.png

We bought our first two Araucanas a week ago and one of them looked like this only worse.

The man at the farmers' market said roosters.

When we got fresh water for her, she perked up, but she is still pretty bald on the backside. She is kind of a misfit. I hope she grows back soon.

We do have a rooster, but after the first statement of dominance, he hasn't been responsible for her feathers. In fact, the A's hang around the rooster and he tolerates them both now. The other hens will bop either one of them, plus the A with feathers is not nice to the bald one.

I am kind of encouraged to find someone else with the problem.

Edited: Could it be worms?

Last edited:
My one remaining EE hen was bottom of the pecking order in my flock of 4 BRs and 5 EEs and had no feathers from the middle of her torso to her tail-just completely bare. She was the darkest one-almost black. When a dog killed the rest, she grew everything back, and is now absolutely gorgeous. I had no roos with that bunch-it was all the other hens.

Back
Top Bottom