The waiting!!

RiverOtter

Crowing
12 Years
Nov 4, 2009
NY
Is agony! I have pipped eggs, day 18. I had no temp spikes but it did drop down to 98 a couple of times (for no more then 3 - 4 hours at the longest) so I thought they might hatch late. My incubator has overall had good temp and humidity, and now in the past day it wants to have a hot spot and lose humidity like mad.

I added a little water but otherwise have not touched it. LOL, just hovered at the window watching 2 eggs get to the point of a little beak poking out here and there. And more and more have shells with teeny cracks turning into pip holes. The eggs are sitting big end up in their egg cartons and it is time for the dreaded WAITING.

Wish me a good hatch!

Hope you get-
jumpy.gif
fl.gif

The waiting is horrible, one time I fell asleep while waiting for hours and then awoke to 20 little peepers squawking their hearts out at me. Good Luck!!

Sit on your hands, go do some chores, go to the movies......
I try to figure out a chore/project that I can do when they are hatching. That way I leave them be and only check on the progress every couple hrs..
The best thing I've found is working on my coop/runs/brooders or anything birdie related makes me feel like I'm "preparing" for the babies.

I wish you a good hatch!

Not sure what species you are hatching, but if it's coturnix, then the time line is fine, pips are very hard to see, and hopefully, the little fuzzy butts will be popping out soon.

Remember...the day you set them is day ZERO, not day one
smile.png

Thanks Joe, I was counting wrong.
LOL, up all night watching. So far, ummm, I think 20, they're moving around so much they're getting hard to keep count. Yes, they're Coturnix - Diggypaws you have grandchicks!

Rainwolf I did quite a bit of cleaning and painted sealer on my floors (my house is a work in progress) It didn't help. Maybe next time I'll breakout the power tools. Or the weather will be nice and I'll till the garden. It didn't help that my DD is uber-excited about this hatch.

I've got really bad quality, flashlight lit, through-the-teeny-window pics ... but they're still cute!
IMAG0461.jpg

edited for better pic

Last edited:
ya.gif
ya.gif
ya.gif
ya.gif
ya.gif

Little fuzzy butts!!! Good luck with your birds. I am still holding strong in the not setting of eggs until spring. But it gets really hard when I go out to feed the birds and I keep finding eggs here and there. The girls are starting to ramp up after their break and it getting harder not to set.

The waiting is always hard but the projects do help the time go by a little faster.
smile.png

Congrats on the new babies!

Just a reminder... Coturnix chicks can not stay in the incubator for a long time like chicken chicks.
As soon as a batch is dry and fuzzy reach in and grab them to put in the brooder. They will need water and food asap.
Just try and keep the incubator as closed up as possible while getting chicks out and be quick.
I grab chicks every2-3 hrs out of the bator to place in the brooder. (but then I hatch quite a bit of coturnix eggs)

Back
Top Bottom