~*The Weekly Peep*~

The Weekly Peep

Today will be a short edition. This week's Peep of the Week is one of my own chickens. We need more photos! Sorry it's late, but after further reading, you'll understand why.

Peep Of the Week

This Peep of the Week is an almost 4 year old Silkie hen, Connie. She's not top of the line, but she's cute as can be. This past week, she has been struggling with Bumble foot. She is also a life time survivor of respiratory infection. She's "sleeping over" in our basement as of now, until she can recover from thebumble foot. She is doing well and prayers are appreciated.

There will be no article of the week. I thought I'd share a bit about how to treat bumble foot, though.

Prep for the procedure: Remove the chicken from the coop and don't put him/her back till the case is resolved.
1. Remove the scab
2. try and get the bumble "lump" out. You'll know it when you see it.
3. Usually when it starts to bleed instead of "junk" coming out, you can begin the next process of soaking.
4. Soak the foot in water (with Epsom salt) for 15 minutes.
5. Dry and pour peroxide over it.
6. You can the put antibiotic ointment on it. BUT first, make sure that there is nothing in the ingredients that ends with "caine". "caine"s are toxic to chickens, so you MUST make sure there are none in the antibiotic cream.

In worst cases, you may have to do surgery, but I've never had to. This is my third hen with bumble foot and this procedure has worked well for me and both previous hens recovered well, and I'm hoping for a third great recovery.

Thanks for reading! Enjoy the rest of your week!

This edition of the Weekly Peep (#2) was written by:
Henny Penny

The Weekly Peep

Today will be a short edition. This week's Peep of the Week is one of my own chickens. We need more photos! Sorry it's late, but after further reading, you'll understand why.

Peep Of the Week

This Peep of the Week is an almost 4 year old Silkie hen, Connie. She's not top of the line, but she's cute as can be. This past week, she has been struggling with Bumble foot. She is also a life time survivor of respiratory infection. She's "sleeping over" in our basement as of now, until she can recover from thebumble foot. She is doing well and prayers are appreciated.

There will be no article of the week. I thought I'd share a bit about how to treat bumble foot, though.

Prep for the procedure: Remove the chicken from the coop and don't put him/her back till the case is resolved.
1. Remove the scab
2. try and get the bumble "lump" out. You'll know it when you see it.
3. Usually when it starts to bleed instead of "junk" coming out, you can begin the next process of soaking.
4. Soak the foot in water (with Epsom salt) for 15 minutes.
5. Dry and pour peroxide over it.
6. You can the put antibiotic ointment on it. BUT first, make sure that there is nothing in the ingredients that ends with "caine". "caine"s are toxic to chickens, so you MUST make sure there are none in the antibiotic cream.

In worst cases, you may have to do surgery, but I've never had to. This is my third hen with bumble foot and this procedure has worked well for me and both previous hens recovered well, and I'm hoping for a third great recovery.

Thanks for reading! Enjoy the rest of your week!

This edition of the Weekly Peep (#2) was written by:
Henny Penny
hugs.gif
Glad Connie is doing well

M
[COLOR=0000FF]The Weekly Peep[/COLOR] Today will be a short edition. This week's Peep of the Week is one of my own chickens. We need more photos! Sorry it's late, but after further reading, you'll understand why. Peep Of the Week This Peep of the Week is an almost 4 year old Silkie hen, Connie. She's not top of the line, but she's cute as can be. This past week, she has been struggling with Bumble foot. She is also a life time survivor of respiratory infection. She's "sleeping over" in our basement as of now, until she can recover from thebumble foot. She is doing well and prayers are appreciated. There will be no article of the week. I thought I'd share a bit about how to treat bumble foot, though. Prep for the procedure: Remove the chicken from the coop and don't put him/her back till the case is resolved. 1. Remove the scab 2. try and get the bumble "lump" out. You'll know it when you see it. 3. Usually when it starts to bleed instead of "junk" coming out, you can begin the next process of soaking. 4. Soak the foot in water (with Epsom salt) for 15 minutes. 5. Dry and pour peroxide over it. 6. You can the put antibiotic ointment on it. BUT first, make sure that there is nothing in the ingredients that ends with "caine". "caine"s are toxic to chickens, so you MUST make sure there are none in the antibiotic cream. In worst cases, you may have to do surgery, but I've never had to. This is my third hen with bumble foot and this procedure has worked well for me and both previous hens recovered well, and I'm hoping for a third great recovery. Thanks for reading! Enjoy the rest of your week! This edition of the Weekly Peep (#2) was written by: Henny Penny
:hugs Glad Connie is doing well
:hugs me too. :)

Back
Top Bottom