The "What Color Is My Chicken?" thread! Calling all color experts!

Pics
I meant Recessive blue Smokey. I doubt it's been imported to north america, but it's always possible to have a spontaneous mutation (remember, the Buttercup genotype mutated 4 times in Leghorns, Dutch, and OEGBs)

Huh? ;)

Smokey is a revertant of dominant white. It is dominant to dom.white (I), able to reverse some of its effects. You could interpret that as that it works towards the same goal as the wildtype gene i+. Maybe that's why it is recessive to it. Dominance to dun is unknown.

I wouldn't know what color to call that chicken (post # 95). She is beautiful though.

Then I always lurk on this thread, but I haven't commented yet, because all that I^d and Eb blah blah stuff doesn't make a whole lot of sence to me.
I just like looking at the coloring of the birds.

Last edited:
Dominant white is dominant to smokey and the dun alleles.

The smokey allele is incompletely dominant to the wild type allele.

Do not know the relationship between smokey and dun.

Tim

I'm going to re-post my "pumpkin" mottled birds on here again now that all our color experts are back!!!

These project chickens descended from a colorful hen of unknown breeding. However, judging from her "kids" there seems to be some Game bird in there, based on their body types. I've had two roosters of this color pop up. Please ignore the mottling for now. I was just wondering about the base color. I really like it and would like to breed more. Whatever the heck it is! LOL.

So far, one rooster has been test-bred over various hens, including Sussex, and none of the babies look like him. So I am guessing whatever this is, would be recessive?

And do you think I can get hens of this color? Or is it a sex-linked color? I've never had a hen (so far) that had this bright orange color with white and the lack of black pigment in the tail like these boys. LOVE these guys! Trying to get more like them, while improving size, and I want to change the slate legs to yellow. What color hens would you pick to cross with these roosters to make more?

Top: Butterscotch, who is a bit lighter.
Bottom: Pumpkin, who is a bit darker and more red.

I love the brilliant glow these have in the sun, and the ORANGE tails!

Pumpkin appears to be Dun Mille Fleur. The simple reason that you don't see the black spots is because they are diluted to dun (along with the tail feathers)

Emily

Pumpkin appears to be Dun Mille Fleur. The simple reason that you don't see the black spots is because they are diluted to dun (along with the tail feathers)

Emily

If it's the Dun gene, what would be the best cross to produce more like him? Keep in mind I'm trying to also improve body size and egg laying, and I want to add yellow legs. So far my "outcross" breeds have been Buff Rock, New Hampshire Red, and Speckled Sussex.

Which of these hens would I want to cross him to? And how does Dun work?

Would I cross the "kids" of these roosters back together, to get more like this? Thanks for your help!!!

Last edited:
Speckled Sussex. That cock is genetically identical, except for Red Dilution and Dun, which are both dominant. Crossing to a SS will give you all birds that look like him, identical in bot cocks and hens.
Dun is sex-linked Dominant.

Emily

I^D (dun) isn't sex linked, but choc (chocolate) is and to make matters confusing both the dun color and the chocolate color can be referred to as dun. However, either of these two different genes can result in this color. In this case, with alohachicken's roosters, I think we are talking about I^D. However, alohachickens posted previously that both parents had black and that would rule out dun I *think*. If that is the case it brings the discussion back around to the dreaded color variations of "buff"
hide.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom