The "whatever works" coop - ventilation okay?

It’s a great coop well done. I have very similar ventilation situation. I’ve had snow and rain gust in. So I wrap 3 sides in clear plastic sheeting. Not airtight by any means an there’s still an 4inch gap the full 8” of the back side. Looks really good. Well done

Yeah the ski area and the city get blurred due to the names. :p
Chickens on skis. :lau
Maybe snow shoes would be better....:hmm

Still great views either place.
Loveland ski area isn't real big but I like it because they always have snow, it isn't crowded and much less expensive. I used to pass it for years on the way to Steamboat. Now I'm not so snobbish.

My chickens need snow shoes today. We got 4 inches of snow yesterday and will get another 5-8" today. It is about to start and I can't get out to get any straw.

Loveland ski area isn't real big but I like it because they always have snow, it isn't crowded and much less expensive. I used to pass it for years on the way to Steamboat. Now I'm not so snobbish.

My chickens need snow shoes today. We got 4 inches of snow yesterday and will get another 5-8" today. It is about to start and I can't get out to get any straw.

If you have a piece of plywood and a couple wood sawhorses you can make a quick shelter by just screwing that plywood to the horses.
It gives them a place to be outside and still dry.

It is something I need to do for mine before our next storm.

Thank you! I have an added benefit of buildings on either side of most of the coop and a good windbreak coming from the East. So far we've had a bit harsher and earlier winter than normal so I hope it doesn't become necessary. If so I can staple up heavy duty plastic in a few min.

It’s a great coop well done. I have very similar ventilation situation. I’ve had snow and rain gust in. So I wrap 3 sides in clear plastic sheeting. Not airtight by any means an there’s still an 4inch gap the full 8” of the back side. Looks really good. Well done

Snowy Range up this way is cheaper and less crowded skiing as well. Pretty drive, too.

Snowed in chooks! I have space under the coop for mine to hang out since I elevated it to level the ground. I make little shelters out of pallets as well. Free except for a few screws.

I plan on simple framing under the roosts (which are easily removable) and removable boards for the poop tray. Either using plywood w linoleum lining or the cheap Walmart metal sheets you use under cars to catch oil leaks.

I plan on putting the rollout nest box I won under the 2 roost side of things since it's a fairly shallow depth and the egg tray will be easily reached if I don't put it outside, and the 3 roost side will have a long broody/hospital pen underneath about 1/2 the width of the coop. Should be 4'+ L X 2 1/2' W. Will frame that out w removable panels and HWC lined for an in-house look but don't touch. I can leave it open w no broodies or close off as needed.

Any suggestions or corrections welcomed!

Looks pretty darn good to me!
Might have to baffle some of them, just keep an eye out.

Curious to see how you're going to do poop boards, hope you update here.

Back
Top Bottom