The wonderful properties of chicken feathers

I
I have a friend that would put wet(plucked) Feathers in a pillowcase, & wash them in the washer, then dry them in the dryer. They say it works well.

Me I just use a bag & hair dryer.
I sell guinea feathers for crafting and make dream catchers out of my chicken's feathers. This time of year is when I stock up. I collect all the molted feathers unless they're broken or too soiled to bother with. I wash and dry them like you making sure they retain their shape. I've heard about the pillow case thing and I've always wanted to go that route. It would save me hours and hours of work. Did your friend mention if they retain their shape or what to do if not? Also, could you pretty please pick their brain about temperature, detergent and cycle. Or if anyone else has experience with this you would make year if you could school me on this!!!! I haven't been doing it for very long, second year, and I only gather feathers when they molt so I am open and eager for anyone's advice.

Last edited:
I

I sell guinea feathers for crafting and make dream catchers out of my chicken's feathers. This time of year is when I stock up. I collect all the molted feathers unless they're broken or too soiled to bother with. I wash and dry them like you making sure they retain their shape. I've heard about the pillow case thing and I've always wanted to go that route. It would save me hours and hours of work. Did your friend mention if they retain their shape or what to do if not? Also, could you pretty please pick their brain about temperature, detergent and cycle. Or if anyone else has experience with this you would make year if you could school me on this!!!! I haven't been doing it for very long, second year, and I only gather feathers when they molt so I am open and eager for anyone's advice.
I saw a few of the feathers that were washed that way. They looked normal.

I can't ask them about detergent, cycle, or temperature until we visit them again, unfortunately.

I saw a few of the feathers that were washed that way. They looked normal.

I can't ask them about detergent, cycle, or temperature until we visit them again, unfortunately.
That's good to know. Thanks for getting back to me.
I'm going to do a load of feathers tomorrow so we'll see how it goes. I'm thinking I'm going to use borax on gentle but hot. Then I shouldn't have to sterilize them I think.

My husband thinks I'm crazy.
I save almost every single CLEAN feather my chickens & peafowl drop.
I made a small "portriat" of our white silkie rooster, Rick Flair. I thought it was great.

20220225_170213.jpg

My husband thinks I'm crazy.
I save almost every single CLEAN feather my chickens & peafowl drop.
I made a small "portriat" of our white silkie rooster, Rick Flair. I thought it was great.

View attachment 3304618
I think it's great too! I have feathers everywhere right now. Almost my whole flock is molting and they're so pretty I feel like it's such a waste to throw them out. So I grab the ones I like the best and put them in gallon zip lock bags. I have almost 40 birds and I think that all their feathers are beautiful. So now I have bags of feathers shoved anywhere there's an open space all over my house, the shop and the barn. Nobody needs that many feathers but I can't stop. I had to buy more bags! I'm trying to come up with ideas on what to do with them and you my friend gave me the inspiration I needed. Picture a huge canvas covered in feathers that I've paper mached them to. Kinda like a Jackson Pollock but instead of paint I'm gonna throw the feathers around and then glue them down. 🤪 I know I've lost my mind and finally become the crazy bird lady but just look at how beautiful they are.

Attachments

• 16669558071062009398771468970192.jpg
    16669558071062009398771468970192.jpg
    627 KB · Views: 2
I think it's great too! I have feathers everywhere right now. Almost my whole flock is molting and they're so pretty I feel like it's such a waste to throw them out. So I grab the ones I like the best and put them in gallon zip lock bags. I have almost 40 birds and I think that all their feathers are beautiful. So now I have bags of feathers shoved anywhere there's an open space all over my house, the shop and the barn. Nobody needs that many feathers but I can't stop. I had to buy more bags! I'm trying to come up with ideas on what to do with them and you my friend gave me the inspiration I needed. Picture a huge canvas covered in feathers that I've paper mached them to. Kinda like a Jackson Pollock but instead of paint I'm gonna throw the feathers around and then glue them down. 🤪 I know I've lost my mind and finally become the crazy bird lady but just look at how beautiful they are.

Thats a great idea, for real.
You have inspired me also. I have a 24x36 canvas that a lady gave to me to paint something for her kitchen...
She never told me what to paint, she was so indecisive.
Its been 5 years...
I believe I may just go ahead and use it...
I have never done a textured piece before!!!

Back
Top Bottom