The Wyandotte Thread

I'm new to this but would my rooster be a Wyandotte? Been trying to find out what breed he is. .. this is Jeff the Rooster. ..

I have a 16 week-old wyandotte pullet who started limping badly about three weeks ago. It seemed to get better after a few days but now it's got worse again. Her left foot doesn't seem injured at all and she seems otherwise healthy, but she is hopping badly and sitting down as much as she can. See the video. Any clues as to what this could be?
is this the only symptom? can be a slipped achilles tendon: https://sites.google.com/a/larsencreek.com/chicken-orthopedics/leg-braces or broken bone. I have never had MD myself, but I would explore all options before diagnosing. not sure if 1 side affected is typical - try the emergencies forum. also, sorry about your bird *hugs*

Back from the show:

SL Pullet BB/BV

Black hen RB/BV

BLR pullet BV

We also got Partridge BV, Blue cock got BV and our SP bantam hen got BV.

holy congratulations Peaky Beaky! your SPW and BLR are stunning
love.gif
well, they all are, but MAN I really love your blrw and SP...
droolin.gif
so beautiful

When I need to remove spurs I use the pliers method. I only remove when they are a hazard to me or the bird.

As I mentioned, I saw two YouTube videos of that method and so this discussion "spurred" me on to go ahead and get the job done. It took all of a minute, fast and clean. Only a smear of blood at the end (inside) one of the spurs. My Roo is an enormous LF Cochin. He didn't even squawk. No discomfort for him. Here's the spurs. They were quite long and nasty and I'm sure his hens feel safer now.

Last edited:
As I mentioned, I saw two YouTube videos of that method and so this discussion "spurred" me on to go ahead and get the job done. It took all of a minute, fast and clean. Only a smear of blood at the end (inside) one of the spurs. My Roo is an enormous LF Cochin. He didn't even squawk. No discomfort for him. Here's the spurs. They were quite long and nasty and I'm sure his hens feel safer now.

That's good to know. I haven't had any reason to remove spurs. Mine free range and I feel that by removing them I would be leaving my roo defenceless .

That's good to know. I haven't had any reason to remove spurs. Mine free range and I feel that by removing them I would be leaving my roo defenceless .

Mine are occasionally free range but not regularly. This flock is more than my other flocks, but it would be a rare event that a rooster could protect himself and flock against racoons, fox, coyotes and even some hawks with or without spurs. I'm sure there are some that have, but not most. That's pretty much why mine don't do much free ranging. I don't want to lose them to predators.

Last season this Roo accidentally took a slice out of one of his hen's backs. She eventually healed, but it looked really nasty for awhile.

Mine are occasionally free range but not regularly. This flock is more than my other flocks, but it would be a rare event that a rooster could protect himself and flock against racoons, fox, coyotes and even some hawks with or without spurs. I'm sure there are some that have, but not most. That's pretty much why mine don't do much free ranging. I don't want to lose them to predators.

Last season this Roo accidentally took a slice out of one of his hen's backs. She eventually healed, but it looked really nasty for awhile.

Yep, don't get me wrong if I had a reason to I would remove spurs, but as yet no reason to. I have a dozen roos and the one with the longest spurs happens to be a hen. :confused:

Back
Top Bottom