The Wyandotte Thread

I love the Look of the BLW and GLW. I'm getting everything ready to start my flock this spring and i my son and i decided to start with these breeds. From everything i've ready, they are very calm around people, and are good egg producers, and can survive a North East Winter!

Anything else special i should know about these Breeds?

I love the Look of the BLW and GLW. I'm getting everything ready to start my flock this spring and i my son and i decided to start with these breeds. From everything i've ready, they are very calm around people, and are good egg producers, and can survive a North East Winter!

Anything else special i should know about these Breeds?

These birds have been claimed by owners to be a great breed. However, I have had feedback that Wyans may be too assertive around timid, docile, shy breeds like Silkies, Breda, Ameraucana, Easter Eggers, Polish, Sultan, etc. More timid breeds can be taken advantage of by good egg-laying or dual purpose breeds like Wyans, Legs, Rocks, Marans, RIRs, BRs, Sexlinks, etc. I learned the hard way to keep different temperaments separated. And I agree, the BLW and GLW are gorgeous -- so are the SLW!

Columbian Wyandotte Bantam Cockerel

ok started some chocolate wyandotte large fowl had problems with color but maybe have it now well post these three as they grow. have some black in leg color maybe fix that after i cull next falls hatch

ok started some chocolate wyandotte large fowl had problems with color but maybe have it now well post these three as they grow. have some black in leg color maybe fix that after i cull next falls hatch

Is it photo deception or is the middle chick larger than the two flanking it?

I am trying to identify and locate a strain of wyandottes that is bred to standard but with a particular focus on dual purpose production......annual egg output of 170 or more and a nice cockerel carcass at 16-20 weeks. I run a small sustainable farm and would love to add this heritage breed, if I can find a line that fits my production needs. Thanks for any suggestions.

I am trying to identify and locate a strain of wyandottes that is bred to standard but with a particular focus on dual purpose production......annual egg output of 170 or more and a nice cockerel carcass at 16-20 weeks. I run a small sustainable farm and would love to add this heritage breed, if I can find a line that fits my production needs. Thanks for any suggestions.

The way chickens are bred to meet breed standard, egg production usually takes a back seat during breeding. 170 eggs is not out of line to expect from a breed but when you throw in breeding to standard - production might suffer. I say "might" but usually that seems to be the rule. Wyans are beautiful birds with or without meeting "standard" so if you find someone's line that are good layers but not perfect "show" standard, go for it! -- if you are planning to sell birds or show your birds then you can be more selective. Most Wyans are beautiful with or without meeting every detailed "show" standard. Even perfect show birds don't always produce quality standard offspring. GL finding your Wyans -- any particular color variety?

I have a blue and red wyandotte. It is so cute!!!! So big, and it squawks all the time and is just cute overall. She runs away though. Lays alot and I recommend this breed to anyone. Here's a picture. Say hi to Nancy!

Back
Top Bottom