The Wyandotte Thread

Quote:
Ditto. The girls I had were terrible peckers of everyone in the flock, on a very regular basis. Sometimes it seemed an hourly basis. I had to be careful whenever I let new ones into the flock because they would go after them every chance they got. Ok with me, eating from my hand, but I didn't appreciate their treatment of the others.

Soaring Chicks: oui, mine are kinda mixed in the personality department; Mischief (splash hen) is the one that loves to bite. She has my cat Boobear's Jekly n Hyde personality. She pretends to be sweet then without warning she bites.

Thanks for the input Turbo, I will add white Wyandottes to see if I can cross for the cuckoo that way.
Would not the Barred Rock produce a single comb? I thought the Dominique would be good because of their shape and that they also have Rose Comb.

Harris5: thank you for the offer, I am holding off til I can get our large coop finished to bring in more. I am going to have a tough time as it is deciding which of the 4 boys will be keepers for breeding. Rubert has a sweet personality; however, he has not hit raging puberty yet.

Quote:
Interesting, I have had Silver laced from a well known breeder in Ontario, ( Bill Gardhouse) ,and they were the most laid back birds I have ever raised. I have had hatchery whites, and the Roos were consistently aggressive.
The Columbians we have now, are consistently good natured, but they have been selectively bred by us for good temperament. As you can see from the picture, we spoon feed them.
72465_wys_spoon_fed.jpg

I have SLW and they mellowed as they have gotten older. They are about 7 months. When they were little I had to put them in a separate brooder. I had 5 and 2 SS 1IB and !1 GLW , The SLW picked on everyone even as teens Then mellowed when they started laying. Now they are so sweet and loving. Weird! All are hatchery.

My SLWs are from a hatchery in Illinois, and they are very sweet birds. I raised them from day-olds, and handled them a lot. They follow me around when they're "free ranging" in the backyard, and are calm when handled and picked up. These are my first chickens, and they've been a lot of fun. They started laying at 5 months, and are still laying pretty well (2 or 3 eggs a day from the four of them.)

Carol

Can someone please point me to a picture of a Buff Columbian Wyandotte. I'm trying to identify one of my adopted hens. She looks just like my Columbian Wyandotte except for the buff color. I know they're supposed to be rare but I can't figure out what else she could be and I can't find a picture, just a discription that says "like a Columbian except buff". TIA

Back
Top Bottom