The zoo's pheasant run

toejam

Never enough birds
10 Years
Dec 21, 2009
SW Ohio, Wilmington
Well, yesterday we were at the Columbus Zoo. It had some really nice birds. Then I saw the sign pheasants. I was so excited until I got in there. They had 3 pheasants. 1 ringneck, 1 red golden, and 1 himalayan monal( The bird I liked the most due to rarity.) I was so bummed out. This pen was
160'x 60' at least with lots of trees, cover, etc. Fist of all I wished they had more pheasants. At least get reeves, Lady amherst, yellow goldens, or silvers if they want to be fairly cheap. Next, they could of gotten some rarer breeds than ringnecks and red goldens. I was still happy with the himalayan monal though. This is an example on how poultry usually plays the second fiddle to people.( not on BYC though)

They did make up for the pheasant run with the area the runs of the other birds. They had crested wood partdrige, victoria crested pigeons and some type of crane that were among my favorites.

Quote:
At the zoo in Fargo ND they have peafowl that are free-range and join the visitors on occasion at picnic tables. They also cater to many wild waterfowl that migrate thru so we get to see those. They do not have a lot of pheasants, but the golden is very pretty. They actually have a lot of different birds tho overall, esp for a tiny zoo!

Quote:
Remember, they are just common to you. The average person doesn't even know what a pheasant is!! When I went to Florida I visited the Tampa zoo. I was a San Diego Zoo keeper at the time so I've seen many exotic species. What I had never seen though were the native animals of Florida. I loved that they exhibited native animals because, well, there's no other way that I would have seen them.

Remember, they are just common to you

Wow, I never thought of that.

They didnt have peafowl free ranging. I was surprised by that too.​

Back
Top Bottom