Thelma and Louise

Gardengirl 2011

Songster
8 Years
Mar 3, 2011
Central Florida
81541_chickens_002.jpg

They were just brought home in this one. They're a week old now. Let's see if I posted this picture right, lol.

celebrate.gif
I did it!

The coop
81541_chickens_003.jpg

81541_chickens_004.jpg

Last edited:
so cute! Love your coop too, great job! How big is it? I am thinking of building a second little coop for one of my EE girls- plan on getting her a little buddy - she was getting really badly picked on in the coop with the other girls.

Thanks! The coop is 5' wide by 6' high and 2' deep. I really wanted to build one myself, but kept getting intimidated and overthinking it. I cut hair~~~not wood, lol. So a friend's husband and father did this for me. The only drawback I see is the roost (piece of plywood I think) is right over open nest boxes. It's wide enough to not allow the chicken poo go into the nest boxes though. And I don't think there's a way to move the roost since it's only 2' deep. So it'll HAVE to work, lol.

I just have to build the fenced in yard before moving them out there. THAT I think I can handle, lol.

Ehh. Your coop looks kinda...questionable. It would have better, I think, to have had the roof slant the other way do they don't get dripped on while going out, and the slope is kinda steep.

But whatever; it's liveable. Enjoy the chickies; they're so cute!

Last edited:
Quote:
You could easily fix that with a length of gutter, pour the water off the end. It's cute and it's creative, and if you're anything like me, you'll end up changing and renovating it as you learn more about your chicks. Maybe you can trade Louis for a dainty hen somewhere!
wink.png

Thanks for the input. And thanks CathyM for the suggestion! The steep slant of the roof sort of bothered me too, but it was my fault for not going to look at the other one he built. The guy doesn't "do" chicken coops, he does cabinet work, lol. I'd actually like to figure out how to raise the front of the roofline a little so it's not quite so pitched. Other than that I'm pretty happy with it.

And here I thought I was being original in their names.
wink.png

I brought home Towanda today. She's a barred rock. I can't believe HOW much smaller she is than the week old chicks!
ep.gif

Back
Top Bottom