Themed "Block of the Month" Sign-Up for June

Quote:
She's gotta keep up with the big dogs somehow.....right?
gig.gif
lau.gif
gig.gif

ya.gif
for Crumples
ya.gif

Did you get your block yet?

The machine she got IS a big dog, we are the puppies!!! She got a 7470 Singer, 173 stictches and a 20 name memory for the computer in it that monograms...its the next one up from what we have. SHe was looking for the one we have and Joanns had sold out so they sold her this one for the same price, lucky duck!!!!!! She's very excited and I am so happy for her, although we might not see her for weeks!!!!!!!!!!!
lau.gif
gig.gif
I think she was going to practice her monogramming on her hubby's underwear to see if he would notice, lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
lau.gif
gig.gif
lau.gif
gig.gif

yuckyuck.gif
I think my dh would notice but that would probably be because I used the brightest thread I could find. My bad....Some of us never grow up.
bun.gif

Thanks for the link, Ginger. I hadn't seen that one. With the links and NanaKat for backup, we've got it made, CW.
clap.gif

I think my dh would notice but that would probably be because I used the brightest thread I could find. My bad....Some of us never grow up.

I was thinking hot pink myself and maybe embroider "Stud Muffin" over the left cheek!!!!!!!!!!!!!​

CW wants a demo of my technique with freezer paper

First the website from Leepsy
http://dquilts.blogspot.com/2007/04/how-i-freezer-paper-piece.html

Then
Quote:
What I do is very simple and is less wasteful of fabric.
Often times I see a pattern in a magazine that I really like, but it is for a 9 inch block instead of 12, and all the directions for cutting the pieces is for that 9 inch block.

So I draw off the pattern onto a 12 inch piece of freezer paper (you can cut it easily with a rotary cutter on you matt. This is cake plate from the Fall colors swap. I number the pieces for the colors I will use
23941_cake_plate.jpg

Then I cut up the pieces and gather together the same color pieces. I then position these onto white fabric. (For this example I'm using a colored fabric so the white paper shows up.) I position them with the seams between and use a ruler to line them up. I iron these to the fabric. What I'm looking for is the most condensed arrangement that yields the pieces with the added seams
23941_parts_1.jpg

Here I was able to combine three pieces from the corner into one larger triangle.
23941_color_5.jpg

Next I arrange all the same color pieces together on the matt board and make notes of the sizes of the fabric pieces on the original pattern. Now I know how wide to cut my strips for cutting out the component pieces. Here a 7 inch strip will yield the triangle corner and the two rectangles.
23941_saving_fabric.jpg

There were four triangles and a 3 inch square for color 1. By playing with the triangle pieces, I could cut a 5 5/8 inch square to cut on the diagonal twice.
The three inch square with seams would be cut from a 3.5 inch strip. The color 2 I decided to make from a rectangle since I wanted to use two different swatches for those pieces. The two together for each swatch could also be cut from a 3.5 inch strip at 4.5 inch.
23941_colors_1_and_2.jpg

The hour I might spend in the drafting process is worth it. I use old cotton pillow cases or an old sheet for the drafting process so I'm not cutting up my good quilting fabric. I can stitch these pieces together to make a practice blick and tweek the pieces before I ever cut into my good fabrics. I make notes on the original pattern and can use it to sight measure my block as I work with it.
23941_layout.jpg

I hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom