Therapy Dogs work for hugs!

thought I'd share another photo from our Paws of Love booth at Turkey Trot in October.

Very cute pictures! I was hoping to do the CGC cert with my dog but she's not too thrilled about strangers petting her. I definitely want to pursue it with my next dog (which will hopefully be from a breeder and have an outgoing personality).

That's probably true but I feel like if the dog doesn't enjoy it it's not really fair to either and best not to force it. The dog may be able to listen to the handler and tolerate it but imo, to be a good therapy dog, and the whole point of the thing, is that they love people and comforting them and doing their "job", which a therapy dog is.

That's probably true but I feel like if the dog doesn't enjoy it it's not really fair to either and best not to force it. The dog may be able to listen to the handler and tolerate it but imo, to be a good therapy dog, and the whole point of the thing, is that they love people and comforting them and doing their "job", which a therapy dog is.
I wasn't talking about to be a therapy dog. but the exercises required to pass the Canine Good Citizen test. It takes a certain type of personality for a dog to do therapy work.
For the CGC, simply putting the dog in a stand-stay and expecting them to let a friendly stranger pat their head and pick up their feet is a basic life-skill.

I wasn't talking about to be a therapy dog.  but the exercises required to pass the Canine Good Citizen test.   It takes a certain type of personality for a dog to do therapy work.
For the CGC, simply putting the dog in a stand-stay and expecting them to let a friendly stranger pat their head and pick up their feet is a basic life-skill.

Ohh okay, sorry, i thought they were talking about being a therapy dog but now i read it again and see they meant specifically the test. And you are definitely right about that.

Back
Top Bottom