There has been a settle on the dog attack incident! Updates on page 2

Peep Talk

Songster
9 Years
Apr 25, 2010
Fort Loudon, PA
I know this is a really short time period, but I need to know what yall think I should ask

Earlier today, there was a loose dog that showed up on my property. It killed one of my first generation Olive Eggers and seriously damaged one of my show quality Gold-Laced Wyandotte hens. She has multiple puncture wounds and missing tons of feathers. She is really stressed out and I have her in a cool, quiet, dark room in my house, so she can calm down. I can't find all of her wounds for all of the fluff, but she is NOT holding her weight up on her feet when I try to get her to stand. I'm hoping she is still a little shocked and not so injured that I can't bring her out of it.
sad.png

The county dog warden came out and by description, knew who the dog was and where it belonged. Apparently it was a problem dog in the area to begin with.
sad.png
She told him that he is to come over this evening around 6pm so we can settle on what compensation I want for my loss. So, we get down to my question.

What do I ask for in compensation for one dead Olive Egger hen, who was laying, and for the damages done to my SQ GLW, who might not recover to be shown ever if she even lives through the shock and the cost of the supplies to clean her wounds and get her back to health?
Thank you for any help! I'm thinking monetary compensation because I don't trust the person to get the kind of birds I would buy in their place.

Last edited:
could you add emotional damages???? Because I would! figure out the price to get a SQ replacement, the amount of effort it would take on your part, how much feed and supplies that you spent on the two birds, etc. and price it all out. Dont just do the price of the birds. You will have to spend more time and money than just the initial purchase price. Hope it works out for you!

I would ask for the loss of the sq bird, if you may not be able to show her again and more if she was to be breeding stock. Maybe check another site to guess her value. At least $30 for the laying hen, that's what they go for on craig's list here. I would also insist that the dog be taken care of and owner fined for not having their dog contained. I am not sure what the laws are where you are but the dog will return if given the chance.

Thank you guys/gals. I was thinking about asking $20 for the dead hen, but I am still unsure as to what to ask for the SQ bird. She isn't dead, and she seems to be trying to pull through, but I don't know if she will ever be able to show now with the damages she has received.
sad.png
Does anyone have any ideas as what to ask for the SQ bird?

Jenni - the owner of the dog is getting charges pressed. I refuse to allow them to think they can get away with their dog doing this. Others may have been afraid to press charges, but I'm not. This is the third time that the dog has gotten out and caused problems in the area. It's time someone puts their foot down.

hugs.gif
sorry for your loss I hope you get what you ask for.....I had two dogs that kept coming in my yard and jumping on my dog and going by my chicken cage so I told their owner to keep them tied but he didn't...I asked the police what to do he said shoot them I gave them 3 chances to get their dogs under control on the third chance I shot them

For the Olive Egger, I'd say $30. For your GLW, I'd say the amount needs to be set AFTER your girl recovers or not. The medical care may very quickly add up, and the idiot owner of the dog needs to be held responsible. Otherwise, set an amount for your girl (my guess is $50) PLUS the vet care. Then let your vet be the one to order the care of the bird.

But I'm a snot, and I am not nice. Nor do I play nice with loose dogs.

Thank you all! I am awaiting the arrival of the owner of the convict dog. I have settled on a square $50. $20 for the Olive Egger and $30 for the GLW. My vet did an examination earlier and only charged me for the amount of the supplies to take care of her wounds and he gave her some kind of shot, I want to say something like Penecillin. The bill that he gave me was for $15 because he is a very understanding man.
I will present the $15 bill to this guy tonight, demand he pay me for it, demand $20 to replace my hen, and ask another $15 for the time I will have to nurse my GLW back to health. At this point, she will be traveling to school with me during the week so I can take care of her wounds as I am a full time student, going for my Bachelor's in Veterinary Medical Technology. Good thing I know how to take care of these wounds on my own. And he will also be told that if she needs further vet care due to this matter, he will be seeing the bills for it and expected to pay.

ETA: fixed spelling

Last edited:
Sorry for your loss.. as dog owner, I would be fully prepared to pay for any chickens that my dogs had killed/injured. My dogs get out periodically, so I now walk them in my fenced yard... (go figure).

I hope you get what you need... for me it would be what I need for peace of mind.

Hope the injured one comes out okay.

Peep, I don't know what your laws are on renegade dogs, but I would find out... if eliminating the dog (hate to do that, but had to put down one of my own years ago after she went exploring and killed some of the neighbors prize rabbits, even though we paid for all the rabbits and damage to pens, etc, we put her down on the spot... she was back up there in the treeline when my husband went up to pay up!) is an option I would let them know if it returns it's fair game.

Sorry for your loss. Hope your show girl recovers!

Back
Top Bottom