There has to be an easier way to DEWORM chickens

ThatTeowonna

Songster
Oct 12, 2020
Columbia, SC
Hello. I really would like your help. I have 6 hens that need deworming. My vet told me specifically to get fenbendazole (safe-guard). He said "follow the package for dosing". Yeah right! I have ready every article and I am still confused. Can someone please tell me in plain English how to deworm a flock of 6 chickens probably averaging 4 pounds? I have 10% paste and .05% pellets. I'll take easy to follow instructions for either. PLEASE and THANK YOU!!!

You should try to use a syringe to dose each one. I would use the paste or the SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer. The dosage is 1/4 or 0.24 ml per pound given orally, and for 5 consecutive days to get most possible chicken worms. To treat only roundworms, give that same dosage once and again in 10 days. Do you know how much their weight is, or their breed?

To give medicine to a chicken, I like to take each one off the roost at night in the dark while wearing a geeky headlamp. Hold the chicken in your left arm like a football (if right handed,) pull down on the wattles with your left thumb and forefinger, squirt in a little medicine, release wattles for chicken to swallow, and repeat. I only give a small amount at a time, so not to choke them.

Thank you!!! They have round worms and coccidia. So I'll follow the 5-day plan. The breeds are all over the place but I estimate about 4 pound each. The bantam is less, of course. The advice about doing it at night is awesome! I feel a lot less panicky now!

Thank you!!! They have round worms and coccidia. So I'll follow the 5-day plan. The breeds are all over the place but I estimate about 4 pound each. The bantam is less, of course. The advice about doing it at night is awesome! I feel a lot less panicky now!
I would treat for the coccidiosis first; get the powdered kind and then mix 3/4 tsp in one gallon of water and leave as only water option. Do this for 5 days and then deworm using the above posters methods. The coccidiosis is more of a time issue than the roundworms (although each are undesirable). But the safeguard won’t treat coccidiosis, only Corid will.

There isnt any contraindications of using both Corid and Safeguard at the same time.
However, coccidiosis can be deadly right off the bat. I'd treat for coccidiosis first, and then go after the worms. The worms arnt going anywhere.

Back
Top Bottom