There is no such thing as a "quiet" rooster

BarkerChickens

Microbrewing Chickenologist
12 Years
Nov 25, 2007
High Desert, CA
While I wish there were roos that were quiet, I know it isn't the case. So...explain this to me please (someone?...anyone?). Some breeds are described as quiet breeds (for example Delawares according to My Pet Chicken). Does this apply to hens only or are the roos "quieter" than other breeds? Does it mean they aren't as loud decibel-wise or just not as often?

It is more of a curiosity question really
idunno.gif
.... I just don't understand what "quiet" means for a chicken. My hens are fairly quiet (except one Barred Rock hen who talks A LOT) and roos, in general, are NOT quiet.

I had a Delaware roo the was the most noisy animal I've ever owned. He drove my wife nuts. He would crow all day and most of the night.

Interestingly, my Blue Ameraucana Roo is 25 weeks old and has yet to even attempt to crow. His comb is VERY RED, he acts like he wants to dance with some of the younger hens, but as of yet, he hasn't got his job done.

I hope he continues to be quiet and then take over the hens.

Quote:
I agree, REALLY pure luck! I had some roos that, for the longest time, I thought would be quiet but when they learned to get their crows into high gear, LOOK OUT! I'm not allowed to have roos here so I had to re-home them all. Too bad, some of them were really nice.
sad.png

I had two roos for awhile, though thought we had just one (well, truthfully, we thought we had NONE, but these things happen!). The Jersey Giant was dominant right away and LOUD. When he became aggressive towards kids who visited our house, he had to go so I re-homed him (me thinks he ended up being eaten:()
The second roo, a BLRW, stepped up to the task after the JG left and became more assertive. He never crowed very much and was wonderful!!! Unfortunately, he died while protecting the flock from a fox.
We just hatched 12 of his fertile eggs and have at least 4 roos (from what I guess by behavior in the brooder!). To not be without a roo, we took on a teenage GL Polish who is starting to get a little aggressive too. We are thinking that the secondary roo is a quieter roo because he has learned his place from another more dominant roo already and he won't crow so much. The theory that we are trying now is to hang on with the Polish until the chicks grow up and then we will select one to replace him... Then re-home the others, poor guys.

Back
Top Bottom