There was a miscommunication.....what is he really?

Dragon Feet

Chirping
Jan 16, 2023
I traded for a rooster a few months ago. She told me he was a Black Copper Maran but when we met she revealed he was only part BCM. I was disappointed but I took him because she was taking my RIR rooster in return (he bullied my bantam). I love this guy but I want to know what exactly he is if I can. (His comb is partly gone due to frostbite)
20230308_104339.jpg

20230321_155824.jpg
20230321_141616.jpg

I see no Rhode island red or silkie traits there
He looks to be a copper marans
Notice he has a single comb but must have lost it to frost bites or something plus the little coppering in his saddle
He is good looking

Last edited:
A mic. Pretty sure that comb is indicative of two comb types (pea comb +? Maybe??). Feathered legs, red earlobes. What color is his skin?
I believe it is yellow but I will go check! Just a sec. OK looks like it's white!

Last edited:
I traded for a rooster a few months ago. She told me he was a Black Copper Maran but when we met she revealed he was only part BCM. I was disappointed but I took him because she was taking my RIR rooster in return (he bullied my bantam). I love this guy but I want to know what exactly he is if I can. (His comb is partly gone due to frostbite)View attachment 3439150
View attachment 3439147View attachment 3439148
He looks like a backyard-quality Black Copper Marans bred to the French Standard to me. The comb clearly has some frostbite damage. What indicates he's not pure to you? And if you're not planning on breeding him to BCM hens, then there really isn't that much of a problem either way.

He looks like a backyard-quality Black Copper Marans bred to the French Standard to me. The comb clearly has some frostbite damage. What indicates he's not pure to you? And if you're not planning on breeding him to BCM hens, then there really isn't that much of a problem either way.

The previous owner told me he was only part BCM so I was curious what the rest of him might be.

Back
Top Bottom