There's a backup in the chicken coop - HELP!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by juleedis, Apr 18, 2012.

1. juleedis

juleedis Out Of The Brooder

Feb 14, 2012
    San Francisco Bay Area
    My coop is more than adequate for my 4 egg laying hens, but the problem is, where 1 lays an egg, they ALL must lay an egg.

My Cochin is very bossy and pushes others out of the spot-of-the-day. The problem is, my Marans alpha hen won't move for her so my Cochin has started to peck at the Marans' comb to get her to move.

I've noticed bloody patches on my Marans' comb before, but I thought she'd just gotten caught on something. This weekend, I found 2 very bloody chickens in my coop, and I realized it was my Cochin doing the damage. I'm sure it's very bad for my poor Marans hen, and I don't want my Cochin, who is already broody, to terrorize the other hens.

I have no idea what to do. Any suggestions?

2. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Pinless peepers....around $6 for 10, I do believe someone stated. Says they really work.

3. sherylreno

sherylreno Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Reno, Nevada
    Chickens like to lay their eggs where another chicken has already laid. If you place fake eggs, like plastic Easter eggs and such, then they will start laying in the other boxes. I put 1 plastic EE in each box and now they lay in all of them and there's no waiting in line anymore.

I do have a hen that will only lay in the same box no matter what's in the other boxes.

4. gickelvolk

gickelvolk Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2011
    Nebraska
    sherylreno is correct!

We have 6 hens laying and they ALL want that ONE box....... [​IMG]

That was until Mrs. put fake eggs in the other nesting boxes...... Now we only get the occasional traffic jam. [​IMG]

5. juleedis

juleedis Out Of The Brooder

Feb 14, 2012
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Great suggestions everyone, thanks! I love the pinless peepers with the google eyes :) but I think I'll try out fake eggs for now. Cheers everyone!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by