There's a hawk killing off my geese....what can I do?

lostinthewoods

In the Brooder
12 Years
Mar 14, 2007
Hayward, Wisconsin
I've lost 2 geese over the weekend to small hawks. My dog chased it off of the last goose, but it was too late. Is there any way to prevent them from attacking and killing any of the other geese and animals besides penning them up?
idunno.gif

If you don't want to pen them, then I have heard of people using plastic owls to keep them away. I don't have experience with them and so do not know how effective they are but it may be worth looking into.

Start feeding the crows. I attract our crows by putting chicken eggs on the fence posts of our horse pasture, which is right next to the pond. Crows will naturally mob
rant.gif
and run-off
smack.gif
a hawk.

Plastic owls work well too, especially if you move them from place to place every now and then.

-Kim

Well, I will definitely try those ideas! I think the previous owner of our house actually left one of those plastic owls.
smile.png
Anyways, thanks a lot......I'll let ya know how things are going.

new here ,so hello to all, ( hope this does not seem to bold and harsh but some time you have to do what you have to do) one of best ways to get rid of hawks and owls, is tss (trap shovel and shut-up)
set up a removable pole (about 8 foot ht.)in small clearing near pen on top of pole put a small8x8 platformon top, then on top of platform put a steel trap with about a 3 foot chain attached when prey lites to view chicks it it done for

You just have to be careful, there are ALOT of places where trapping, killing, touching birds of prey(hawks, eagles, falcons, etc) is very, very illegal. You can get in trouble for even being in possession of a feather from one of the more rare species(I liked to pick feathers of the ground, and someone said I could get in trouble for it).

So check the laws in your area, then you'll at least know the risks. In some cases people would prefer to do the illegal thing, but just know your gamble before you take action!

-Kim

I'm so sorry for this sad loss.

Wow - small hawks and geese - yikes. It's pretty amazing they took on something that sounds much bigger than they. A lesson to all of us that chickens - no matter the size - are likely no match for any hawk.

Has anyone found a good place to get really life-like fake owls?

JJ

The Owls do work, but the big thing to remember is that they need to be moved 3-4 times a day to be truley effective if the hawl has found "food" Also there is always SSS but you didnt here that from me
cool.png

Back
Top Bottom