There's No Place Like Home

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ColbertChick, May 25, 2011.

1. ColbertChick

ColbertChick Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2011
    DH and I have been working on this for several weekends. It's been hard finding rain-free days to work outside. I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out. We still need to make the egg boxes but I figure we have a couple of months for that. DH really wanted the girls out of the house ASAP so they are spending the night in their new home tonight. I sure hope they stay warm enough. Here are a couple of pix:

The New Palace

[​IMG]
    Scoping out their new home:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Chicken Chat

Chicken Chat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    I like your coop. [​IMG] Lucky chickens, that polish is really cute.

3. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nice coop that's well laid out and cute birds.

Suggest sand rather than wood chips, easier to clean up (scoops like kitty litter) and cheaper, you can probably get a ton of sand for the cost of 1 bale of chips = more $ for chicks [​IMG]

4. AccentOnHakes

AccentOnHakes Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2009
    Uh-oh...that BR roo is looking at you...better watch out!

5. ginger c.

ginger c. Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Alabama
    great coop! [​IMG]

6. ColbertChick

Apr 22, 2011
    Thanks everyone! I was thinking of using sand but it's been so chilly and wet here I was afraid they would be cold. Do you find that to be the case with sand? Am I overthinking this and forgetting that they are farm animals and not indoor pets? I love these little critters and just want them comfortable and happy.

I was afraid that my little Ophelia (Barred Rock) needed to be renamed to Hamlet or Romeo:/ I hope I don't have too many more roos or I won't have any left to lay! I'll post pix later of the others to see if anyone can shed some light on what I have. Or, I could just wait for that first crow or egg and dispel all doubt!![​IMG]

7. ChickInDelight

ChickInDelight Never an Empty Nest

Apr 27, 2011
    Browntown, VA
    Wouldn't sand dry more easily than chips? [​IMG]

Lovely coop and chickens! [​IMG]

8. joan1708

joan1708 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    DFW - mid cities, Tx
    do you have enough ventilation?

9. ColbertChick

Apr 22, 2011
    Well, I'm not sure. The roof is designed so that there is a 2" by the width of the coop gap where it meets the coop in front and back. I also bought a vent like they use in houses which I haven't yet installed. Two questions: Where would I put it so it's effective but doesn't make it drafty for them? and it can get pretty cold here (hovers at or below 0F for some period in January) How do I ventilate without letting them freeze?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by