Thermoconfused......2632 Hova-Bator first timer

Laney

Songster
10 Years
Mar 25, 2009
Spring Hope, NC
I think I'm overthinking myself...so please feel free to tell me to relax and to stop doing that.

I have a 2632 Hova-Bator turbofan with turners. I got it used and had to replace a few parts. (red plug, one window, screen for bottom)

I had no intention of incubating until spring but it was such a good deal I couldn't pass it up. It even came with quail turners. However, my girls started hiding their eggs, and we found them in a batch of 11, plus a surprise from a hen we didn't think was laying yet. We think the girls are trying to give a broody some peace and letting her have the nestboxes all to herself. So I set up the incubator and gave it only 12 hours to stabilize. No problem because the temp was up and running at 99-100 really quickly and very stable. Our house is very well insulated and is always exactly 72 degrees.

Here is where my problem kicked in. I started reading on here all about humidity. I got nervous so I ran out that day and got myself a hydrometer at walmart. It came with a digital thermometer on it. That digital thermometer contradicted the analog one from Hova-bator by about 1 1/2 degrees to the negative. Now I'm concerned because The analog says I'm right on, the digital says I'm at 98 1/2.

Now no matter how much I try to adjust the temp down, the incubator stays the same temp?

I stick my clean and sanitized meat thermometer (digital) in the hole and now it reads 102!!! OMG! Now what? Is it 102, 98 1/2, or right on at 100....

Now I'm reading I should have calibrated the hydrometer, and that some folks have two, one for the room outside, one inside, two inside etc. Well I panic that the one from walmart stinks (being polite) and I go out and get one at petsmart. Then I come home and I start the experiment. This new one is off by 1% to the negative. So I know to add one percent.

It has replaced the walmart one in the incubator.

How am I supposed to get an accurate temp reading? What do I trust? Do I just do an average of the three temps I'm getting? When the walmart one is done calibrating (74% at 8hrs now) do I add it's temp to the inside, or just use it for outside humid and temp?

Someone stop me, calm me down and tell me to relax??

Laney

JUST my PERSONAL opinion...........

I would go with the thermometer that I first started with.

I would "calibrate" the hygrometer, but NOT worry about the humidity AT ALL until the 17th or 18th day. You can check it occasionally, but I wouldn't, personally, want it over 50% until day 18 when you will shut-down the turner and NOT open the incubator anymore if you have before...(NOT RECOMMENDED)

At that time (18th day), I would check the humidity and if necessary put in sponge soaked in HOT water to increase humidity to around 60-70 %.

Make SURE that the ventilation is GOOD! With a fan, you should be OK.

POOR Ventilation, I think, is more often the culprit for poor hatches than humidity or slight deviations in temperature.

Keep good notes......since this is your FIRST incubation, expect to learn from your notes later.

Jest one ole "hick's" 2 pesos worth,
smile.png
wink.png

-Junkmanme-
old.gif

Last edited:
From that post you have to wonder if I'm keeping good notes????

I have two spreadsheets! One for ever time I check the temp and Humidity....

and one set up for candling on Day 7 and 18.......

I'm trying to teach my daughter about good record keeping. She doesn't generally see the farm records for the other animals (feed, worming, vet etc)

So she is helping me fill in the records on these eggs to get her started. She's 13 and old enough. Soon she'll have to start keeping her own records on her goats. She just negotiated a deal to buy 2 dairy goats for $50 for the pair...provided she lets the original owners have the babies they are currently carrying.

So, yup, keeping obsessive records
smile.png
Falls right in line with my personality.

Thanks for the advice. I've been thinking I should go with the original thermometer but I think I just needed to hear someone say it. Right now humidity is at 42%. I'll leave it like that unless it goes very low. Should be fine though as the humidity in the room is running at about 48%. I only plan to open it up in a temp emergency or to candle on days 7 and 18 and to remove chicks. Another hard thing to teach my daughter who wanted to candle again on day 2.....

Laney

Seems to me that you've got it ALL lined up correctly !!!
smile.png
wink.png

I expect that you'll have a good hatch! Just make SURE that your ventilation holes are providing plenty of air-exchange......

Your fan and thermostat should adapt fairly quickly should you see a slight drop of either humidity or temperature IF you should open vent holes a little more sometime.

I wouldn't WORRY unless the temp/humidity moved drastically up or down for an extended period (over a couple of hours).

Cooler temps will DELAY a hatch and "slightly" higher temps will HURRY the hatch a bit.

Too HIGH of a humidity (with POOR ventilation) will drown the embryos.

VENTILATION is important.

Like I said earlier....It looks like you've got a "good handle" on the situation!

GOOD HATCH to YOU!
frow.gif

-Junkmanme-
old.gif
caf.gif

Laney....you're funny! "Step Away From the Bator.....LOL"
It'll be fine! I've got 2 of the 2632 Hovabators and I LOVE THEM!

They stay right on the money....don't even worry about humidity until the
18th day.....then like Junkmanme said......put the sponge in there and you'll be fine.
I think the less you fool with the incubator the better hatch you'll have. If those eggs
were under a moma hen......she would just be sitting there all day and all night to
keep the temperature right, but she wouldn't be fretting over the eggs under her.
So just relax....you are going to do fine!

I LOVE the fact that you are teaching your daughter to be responsible and showing
her that record keeping is essential when raising animals! I wish more parents
would teach their children responsibility!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom