Thermometer inside coop...

Nicole01

Crowing
8 Years
Mar 28, 2011
MN
We installed a digital thermometer in the coop. There is a box that holds batteries in the coop and measures the current temp. The digital reader is inside the house. We also have a weather station similar to this reading the outside tempature. The batteries last 1-3 years before replacing.

It's very nice knowing the exact temp of the coop to keep an eye on the girls. I thought I'd pass it along.
smile.png

Yeah, I just set mine on the top framing of the nesting box, out of reach of the hens. Works well. Because of it I've taken to leaving the big cleanout door open all day to let the heat out more. Not that 78 is too hot for them, but I like them to be comfortable.

We have one too. Aren't they so nice!

It is piece of mind on hot nights when they are locked up to make sure things stay at a decent temp. If the temp is above 80 in the coop, prior to them roosting I place frozen gallon milk jugs filled with water in the coop and it cools things down nicely.

Funny that I didn't even think of adding a thermometer. What type did you guys use? Can you post a link or a photo?

I added on when we first put them out because we were having unseasonably cool weather, I just decided to leave it in there for the summer too. I have a rather cheap one that measures the temp/humidity and records the 24 hour high and low so I can see how things are going. I always freak out that during the middle of the day it is getting into the mid 90s in there.

How hot is to hot in the coop were averaging 95 here I have 2 windows plus the eaves and I leave the door open during the day but it still gets pretty warm in there and when they go in to roost I can tell their warm.... thinking i need more ventilation but dont want to have draft problems come winter.. windows are both about 16 x 24.

Last edited:
Tenmore, I am wondering the same thing! how hot is too hot? I am new to chickens
I have 8, 5 week old Red Sexlink hens they seem fine and healthy but the temp in the sun here is 105-110
yesterday so I worry:( I have the coop shaded with a patio umbrella its a temporary setup for now.
the coop is well ventilated but I'm still not sure if their too warm.....

Back
Top Bottom