Thermometer Reads 107 Fahrenheit! How do I keep my flock cool!?

Chickens will adapt. As long as there are no obvious signs of distress or death, no worries. Last month mine were in 100°F and a lot more humidity and were only panting occasionally.

Clean water and shade. Chickens as a species have been doing this longer than we've had air conditioning. We like clean water and shade when it gets hot.

Mine were wading through water last week without a concern. Now that it is drier and hotter, they are ignoring the pools in the run. Any chance you are overly worried?

Chickens will adapt. As long as there are no obvious signs of distress or death, no worries. Last month mine were in 100°F and a lot more humidity and were only panting occasionally.

Clean water and shade. Chickens as a species have been doing this longer than we've had air conditioning. We like clean water and shade when it gets hot.

Mine were wading through water last week without a concern. Now that it is drier and hotter, they are ignoring the pools in the run. Any chance you are overly worried?
Ok. Thanks! I guess I imagine myself in a feather parka outside all day and my brain 'kinda goes nuts wondering how they'd ever survive.

We went from feels like 100+ to below 60 for two days with light rain. Brrr! No happy medium.

It's 7pm on the east coast and here in the western part of Maryland, it is currently 56 degrees with a low of 51 forecasted. The remnants of Harvey is here and it has rained since yesterday - between light mists to downpours. I have been soaked five times today.

Harvey needs to find another home.
:barnie

I put out a big baking pan with water and a patio paver in it. My Chooks loved it! The paver wicks the moisture up and cools their feet and even with a bit of water over it it's not as scary as a wading pool for them. I used a large foil pan I picked up at Walmart and a grey patio stone from Lowe's. I even dumped most of a bag of ice in it one day.

It's 7pm on the east coast and here in the western part of Maryland, it is currently 56 degrees with a low of 51 forecasted. The remnants of Harvey is here and it has rained since yesterday - between light mists to downpours. I have been soaked five times today.

Harvey needs to find another home.
:barnie
Oh man! That is horrible. I hope it passes very soon for all of you! :fl

I know how you feel! I live in Houston. Try feeding them some watermelon, cold. It really cools them down, they love it.
Great! Will do. I also read about a cool watermelon/mint ice cube treat I can make for them. Luckily, today is supposed to be significantly cooler; only 88! :woot:woot:yesss::highfive:

Back
Top Bottom