Thermostat allows too much temperature fluctuation

I had the exact same issue with the thermostat and replaced it with a dimmer. (I used the 'dimmer extension cord') The temp has been absolutely rock steady between 99 and 100. My bator is in my house in which the a/c is set at 77 degrees. It may get just a bit cooler at night, but in Florida...not much! Interestingly, the water wiggler temp and the bator temp are running within 1 degree of each other at all times.

I did notice that I have to add quite a bit more water to keep the humidity up...probably because of the a/c. But that part is easy. The hard part is keeping the temp steady.

I think the reptile thermostats are supposed to be better with a narrower range of temps.

Last edited by a moderator:
i tried about everything and couldn't keep the temps steady enough . i finaly broke down and bought a waffer thermostat and it worked like a charm. my first hatch was 81% with shipped eggs. i found a small fan at wal- mart and made my homemade bator into a forced air that held the temp at 99.5.

My thermostat kicked ON at 97 degrees and OFF at 102. I hatched 20 out of 25 eggs. It cooled down fast enough that the eggs didn't drop temp very much before it kicked back on. I would have liked a smaller difference, but I just couldn't get it dialed in any better.

Back
Top Bottom