Thermostat wiring

Gabbigus

In the Brooder
Apr 10, 2024
If you wire a incubator for 2 thermostats do you wire them inline so if one stops the other kicks in?

I’m not sure I’ve ever heard of wiring an incubator with two thermostats. Can you describe the purpose?

The purpose is if one fails the other kicks in so you don't lose your hatch,
Interesting. I’ve only heard of doing that with lightbulbs or other heating elements, as thermostats are typically a reliable piece of equipment.

Last edited:
If you wire an incubator for 2 thermostats do you wire them inline so if one stops the other kicks in?
Try wiring them in parallel. I think it’s pretty unnecessary and I’d put my efforts into redundancy with heating elements, IMO. Caveat being that it only works with certain thermostats from what I understand.

Depends on the thermostats fail method. I would assume they would be NO not NC. If they are NO you want them in parallel. If they are NC you would want them in series. (NC=normally closed so when it fails it stays in the on position, NO=normally open so when it fails it stays in the off position.)

If you wire them 'inline' aka series circuit, if one fails both will fail. Wire them in a parallel circuit and if one fails the other will work.

If you wire them 'inline' aka series circuit, if one fails both will fail. Wire them in a parallel circuit and if one fails the other will work.
I'm talking about wafer thermostats, GQF wires two with one as a backup if one fails and i believe their in line.

If in series and one stat fails in the open position electrical current can not flow thru the second stat and on to the heat element. On my incubators I use an inexpensive digital thermostat with an output visual/audio alarm. By the way I am a retired electronics professor.

If in series and one stat fails in the open position electrical current can not flow thru the second stat and on to the heat element. On my incubators I use an inexpensive digital thermostat with an output visual/audio alarm. By the way I am a retired electronics professor.
^ I second this.

Back
Top Bottom