These are all boys aren’t they?

MoonFeathers

In the Brooder
Mar 20, 2022
South Dakota
question one: am I right to think all of these 6 week olds are Roos? They all started to get bright red combs at 3 weeks and they’re all getting wattles now. I just need extra confirmation from other people. Also my first time having barred rocks and an australorp, I mainly have orpingtons so I wasn’t sure if maybe they get combs fast or something?
And question two: will my 12 week old cockerel kill them if I put them in with the flock? The older hens and pullets don’t seem to mind them much but the one older cockerel I have seems a little irritated whenever he sees them and pecks them hard if he can get them through the wire at all. I don’t plan to keep them long term I was just going to keep them until they were big enough use them for chicken chili but I’ll pass them on to someone else if the older cockerel will kill them before they’re even ready I would hate for their lives to be wasted.
None of them are very nice, even at such a young age they’re all quite pushy and bold and constantly sparring with each other and have even pecked me which I’ve never had pullets do. The older cockerel I’m keeping didn’t even act like this lol.

Sorry for kind of bad pics, I’m 8 1/2 months pregnant and can’t really chase them around to catch them. They were straight run from tractor supply, which I guess means “surprise! They’re all always boys!” Lol

(4 barred Plymouth rocks and 1 Australorp)
351439F6-66D9-4093-8576-C4621D3D9662.jpeg

8D1E9A67-2EC0-4B87-89BD-7490C85BB8C2.jpeg

And question two: will my 12 week old cockerel kill them if I put them in with the flock?
Maybe, maybe not. I cannot be sure.

If they have multiple feed & water stations, and places to hide (like a board leaned against the wall, so they can run in one end and out the other), they have a better chance.

I don’t plan to keep them long term I was just going to keep them until they were big enough use them for chicken chili but I’ll pass them on to someone else if the older cockerel will kill them before they’re even ready I would hate for their lives to be wasted.
Can they keep living where they are now until you butcher them?

"Big enough" means different things to different people. You didn't mention the option of just butchering them very young (like now.) They are probably bigger than quail by this time, and I know there are people who raise quail for meat. :idunno

But yes, passing them on to someone else can also work.

If they share a pen with the older cockerel, and if they spend their time hiding or being harassed, they will not grow a quickly as they would otherwise.

And I thought I had bad luck when 5 of 6 were roos.😬
Maybe, maybe not. I cannot be sure.

If they have multiple feed & water stations, and places to hide (like a board leaned against the wall, so they can run in one end and out the other), they have a better chance.

Can they keep living where they are now until you butcher them?

"Big enough" means different things to different people. You didn't mention the option of just butchering them very young (like now.) They are probably bigger than quail by this time, and I know there are people who raise quail for meat. :idunno

But yes, passing them on to someone else can also work.

If they share a pen with the older cockerel, and if they spend their time hiding or being harassed, they will not grow a quickly as they would otherwise.
That’s a good point about them having to hide or be chased ruining their growth. I think they would be okay where they are. I have them set up now with a big tub to hide under with feed and water under the tub and wire fencing between their little area and the rest of the run/coop area. It’s a little bit of a cumbersome setup since it’s a temp set up just for chick introductions but I think I’ll just keep it until they’re just big enough for my taste. 😜
I’ll just make sure to check on them regularly and watch the weather/temps. (I’m self employed at home so I can do that easy)

Side note I really appreciate all the replies guys it’s helped me make some solid choices with these boys! Loving this forum so far everyone is always helpful and down to earth!

Back
Top Bottom