These are Lifer Save Chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jimnjay, Dec 15, 2008.

1. jimnjay

jimnjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    The photos of the babies attached are so important to me. I have not posted on this board that I recently lost my entire flock or 42 chickens to ILT. I had to destroy them as it is a reportable disease here in Alabama. I was able to grab some eggs before the birds were dispatched and I hatched the first batch today. I got 11 chicks. I think there may be 5-6 Sizzles in the group. I have another 16 eggs in a second batch due Christmas eve so I am hopeful that I will be able to continue with my line of Buff Sizzles and Silkies as well as the Splash/Blue Sizzles. The ones that hatched today are eggs from Fancy the bird in my Avatar. Unfortunately she was the only one laying at the time so I did not rescue as many as I had hoped.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 15, 2008
  2. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    I am so sorry you lost your whole flock that is so sad ! I know several people have had to dispatch their whole flocks and then start over from eggs they saved and got from their stock at other farms. Will Marrow went through something similar from introducing new birds to his flock. I would suggest taking up very strict biosecruity from now on. Those are beautiful chicks and I am so very sorry you had to experiance this and I hope you have enough hatch to rebuild your flock.

Henry

3. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    awww, that is so sad !!! So sorry.... [​IMG] [​IMG]

CONGRATS on the babies, they are very very cute [​IMG] [​IMG]

The first silkie chicks I ever got from a breeder in WA had ILT when I got them, It was horriable to watch them die and then cull the rest. I feel for yah !!

4. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Those babies are just precious. I am also sorry that you had to lose the whole flock. How heartbreaking!!!

5. ddeans

ddeans Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I too am sorry for your loss. [​IMG]

6. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

[​IMG]

Had to google that one, haven't heard of it.

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Jaynie, you know how awful I feel for you, but just think about the clean slate you have now. Congrats on the cute babies! If you want those eggs we talked about, let me know. [​IMG]

8. crazyhen

crazyhen Overrun With Chickens

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    Can the babies be infected from the Moms that were destroyed through the egg? I sure hope not they are precious. jean

9. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    ILT is not transmittable through the egg. [​IMG]

10. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

That's correct, ILT does not transmit vertically (through the egg), thank goodness. Miss Jaynie would never take the chance hatching these babies if it did, trust me. I'm just glad for her sake that she can have a few babies from her poor departed birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by