I have a friend who once got fresh eggs from another friend. He scrambled the eggs, made toast and sausages, and sat down for a nice meal. When he gets to the eggs, he spits them out and dumps everything into the garbage. Turns out his friend's chickens had been eating the insulation from the wall that backed their coop.

So make sure it's not something they are eating, and remember that they will eat literally anything.

I really don't think it is the SGs themselves, since they are just sex linked hybrids of common breeds.

Would you really cull the Gems? Seems a bit extreme... There's been a good bit of discussion lately about fishy-tasting eggs, and the possible correlation of flaxseed & other additives in the feed, how different breeds might process differently, adding to the overall egg taste - so it might be your feed. Could be fun to experiment a little.

I have a friend who once got fresh eggs from another friend. He scrambled the eggs, made toast and sausages, and sat down for a nice meal. When he gets to the eggs, he spits them out and dumps everything into the garbage. Turns out his friend's chickens had been eating the insulation from the wall that backed their coop.

So make sure it's not something they are eating, and remember that they will eat literally anything.

I really don't think it is the SGs themselves, since they are just sex linked hybrids of common breeds.
Eeewww, that sounds gross, poor chickens...well, poor friend, lol, everybody has been so helpful on here, good story btw

Would you really cull the Gems? Seems a bit extreme... There's been a good bit of discussion lately about fishy-tasting eggs, and the possible correlation of flaxseed & other additives in the feed, how different breeds might process differently, adding to the overall egg taste - so it might be your feed. Could be fun to experiment a little.
Na, my husband wouldn't let me do anything to the Gems :)

We have had this issue with our new Polish chickens. They are the only ones laying white eggs and those all smell more like fish or something...not just egg-y. Can't figure if it is the breed, as none of our other girls (we have 20) are laying any eggs that smell when you crack them open. It is very frustrating, but at least we know the white eggs aren't edible :-(

Back
Top Bottom