maydb

Hatching
Feb 24, 2022
We have had our own chicken eggs for years, all different breeds and had no problem with an 'extra strong egg' taste. I have tons of eggs I'm trying to use up, making angel food cakes, french toast, and noodles, etc. We bought 'Sapphire Gems' late last summer and they started laying in mid-winter, which is odd in itself, but I noticed something about the egg taste. Everything I cooked with them had an overwhelming egg taste, in the cakes, in the noodles, etc. I usually love eggs, such a good source of vitamins and minerals, protein, etc. I asked my husband about the feed, he said its the same we have always used. We aren't allergic, they don't taste like manure, they aren't old. We have come to the conclusion that it might be the breed of chicken since we have never had this breed before. Is there anyone else who might know what to do about this besides fried chicken?

:welcome My first thought was a change in feed, but that is not the case. I'm curious to see what others have to say. My gut instinct is that breed of chicken is not the causative factor.

hmmm interesting. Are you using any straw in their area or hay around? I’m wondering if someone’s bails may have had a lil extra something in them.

It is most likely an external factor. Though it could be tricky to find the cause.

Very good suggestions. We use straw, sometimes wood chips depending on weather for bedding. Not sure what treats are, we do give them leftovers, nothing with chicken or much meat in it only stuff we have eaten, not moldy, they love white bread(?) but not much of that. Water is not berkey-filtered like our drinking water is but our older hens drink the same. By the way, these Sapphire Gems are so pretty, shiny black and grey with streaks of iridescent blue in the sun but man...oh, and the eggs are stored in my plant room, not too hot in there, where I over-winter my big plants (coffee, avocado, lemon) that live outside in (Indiana) summer. Its not a non-egg smell, its just too much egg smell and taste.

I have a pretty diverse flock and I added saphire gems last year. They started laying immediately, but I never noticed any taste difference. I prefer sunny side up so I think taste would be easy to differentiate if it were off. But I actually like the saphire gem eggs because of the size. 2 eggs are a big healthy serving.

It’s worth noting, my sapphire gems are BIG eaters. The 7 gems ate almost as much as the other 25 did when I had them separated.

Now I’m not very picky either. My wife hates duck eggs, I didn’t notice enough of a difference for me though.

Are the gem eggs bigger than the others? When a recipe calls for 2 eggs, it’s assumed that they are typical medium/large eggs. So you might be putting in 2 or 3 times the necessary egg measurement.

Never thought about the sulfur, that might be something to check out. Also, the eggs started out small as usual for pullets but they are quickly becoming large or extra large sizes, recipes might need to be adjusted. I know they drink water like crazy too.

Are the gem eggs bigger than the others? When a recipe calls for 2 eggs, it’s assumed that they are typical medium/large eggs. So you might be putting in 2 or 3 times the necessary egg measurement.

I've been using eggs by weight for my recipes.

Not all the charts available agree. Here are several:

1645716833190.png

1645716966696.png

1645716991626.png

Back
Top Bottom