Suddenly laying in run

Is it possible for a hen to lay a shell with no egg stuff?
Not that I know of, because they are basically coating the inside of the egg with calcium in their reproductive tract. And they probably wouldn't have run for that other one.

They are on a 20% all flock right now. They rarely get treats - except for soldier fly larvae a couple of times a week - and only a couple of tbs per bird.
Hopefully they stop soon and that it is just the initial excitement. My hens will eat an already broken egg, and a couple will go after the green one since it is easy to crack, but other than that they aren't super interested.

Oh, you can also blow an eggshell and put dish soap or mustard inside. That would probably work since it isn't an ingrained behavior right now. This makes me sound a bit evil, but it is pretty fun to watch their reactions when they try to eat it. 😅

Not that I know of, because they are basically coating the inside of the egg with calcium in their reproductive tract. And they probably wouldn't have run for that other one.

Hopefully they stop soon and that it is just the initial excitement. My hens will eat an already broken egg, and a couple will go after the green one since it is easy to crack, but other than that they aren't super interested.

Oh, you can also blow an eggshell and put dish soap or mustard inside. That would probably work since it isn't an ingrained behavior right now. This makes me sound a bit evil, but it is pretty fun to watch their reactions when they try to eat it. 😅
Ooh! Good idea!

Just putting the fake egg in the run (which already happened) may be enough. They can peck it as much as they want, and never get anything tasty to eat. Eventually they should get tired of stubbing their beaks and decide that egg-shaped objects are not interesting.

I would be concerned that the chickens would decide they like mustard, and be worse than ever!

I would be concerned that the chickens would decide they like mustard, and be worse than ever!
Wow, have you ever seen that? My hen was outraged when I tricked her with the mustard egg. Maybe use dishsoap if you are going to do it, to be safe.

Wow, have you ever seen that? My hen was outraged when I tricked her with the mustard egg. Maybe use dishsoap if you are going to do it, to be safe.
I have never personally tried the mustard-egg trick, but I have seen chickens eat so many things that I wouldn't make any bets about what a specific hen will or will not like.

Edit to add links to three older threads on this site:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/egg-eating-chicken-ate-two-mustard-filled-eggs-help.932373/
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/my-chickens-like-mustard-filled-eggs.1494843/
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/why-did-my-chickens-like-the-mustard.1291952/
I think the titles say enough :)

This does sound more like a rat getting at the egg than your pullets.
Rats or mice can make holes and carry the eggs outside into the run where they slurp them empty.
I will keep a close eye. Sometimes, they are hard to detect. It was in the run in the midst of 13 chickens. I didn't see any signs of a scuffle. Would chickens not try to go after a mouse? I did a barrier check and didn't see any signs of something getting in, but rodents can notoriously get into tiny spots.

We are planning on some coop cams, eventually to help solve the unsolvable.

BUT... we did just come back from the run. One of the Australorps had a sticky beak. Considering she is black, I couldn't tell what color the sticky stuff was.

Back
Top Bottom