These girls are so red and yet no eggs :(

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jeaucamom, Jan 10, 2008.

1. jeaucamom

jeaucamom Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2007
    Ophir, CA
    This is Nona and she is 20 weeks old. Look how red she is and still no eggs. Whats up????
    [​IMG]

And this is Harmony she is 19 weeks old and no eggs.
    [​IMG]

Both their combs and waddles are as big and red (if not redder) than Butterscotch's who is laying. Where are the eggs?????

2. gmc

gmc Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2007
    Clay City, KY
    Hi jeaucamom,
    I still have hens at 31 weeks that I've not seen an egg from. But the majority started laying around 26 weeks with a few as early as 23. No doubt depends a lot on breed and that sort of thing, but some lay sooner or later than others. Hang in there, it will come. You will get a surpise soon, I promise. Bet she knows where the eggs are....[​IMG]

gmc

3. jeaucamom

jeaucamom Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2007
    Ophir, CA
    Oh Man!! If I have to wait 31 weeks y'all had better make sure I can't lay my hands on any sharp objects!! [​IMG]

4. Pinenot

Pinenot Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2007
    Hens need 14 hours of light to lay. You could put some light on them, if you want to hurry them up. Our days are getting longer.

5. hollyclyff

hollyclyff Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2007
    NC
    I have two that are 34 weeks old. Their combs have been red for more than two months and no eggs. I figure they're waiting for spring.

6. s6bee

s6bee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Western, NY
    Sounds like most folks aren't getting eggs till at least around 23 wks. or later. Make sure they have everything they need. I learned about the "squat" they do just before they started laying. Are any doing that? We put light in and set it for 14 hrs. and they started laying 3 weeks later, not sure if that was the key, but it's staying on!

Steph

7. chickenranchwife

chickenranchwife Chillin' With My Peeps

You sure have some pretty girls there! They are going to lay anyday. The moment you quit looking for eggs the sooner they will lay. Kinda watching for the pot to boil. Just be patient, as it is winter! They tend to slack off in the winter time because of the light situation.

8. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    A couple of my girls started to lay around 21 weeks, and their comb's went red and grew bigger about three weeks before the first egg.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by