These hens have not read any chicken books...

We have chicks this morning! I didn't want to disturb the hens too much so I barely lifted them so I could peek under. I could see at least 5 chicks under the barred rock and 1 under the welsummer. I could see several pips in eggs under both. Each hen had 10 eggs under them. The barred rock is clucking away to her chicks.

I can't wait to get home from work and see how many more have hatched. We also have goose eggs due to hatch this week.
fl.gif
It's going to be an exciting week around here.

Congrats on the new babies. My broody left her eggs yesterday. When I checked, they were cold, so I put them in the incubator. Then last night, she was back on the now empty nest. Now I feel guilty.

At least someone's broody got it right
big_smile.png

Denise

Quote:
Lol, the welsummer kept going back to the wrong nest the first few days she was setting. Luckily it was my spring break week so I could watch for her and put her back where she was supposed to be.

So far Ms. Broody Barred Rock has hatched out 9 of the 10 bantam eggs that made it past the first candling. Ms. Broody Welsummer #1 has hatched 5 of her 10 bantam eggs. We put the 5 chicks from the Welsummer under the Barred Rock. She thinks she has quite a brood.

Well if she's anything like my CM and DOM, she's going to come out of her trance and she's going to get in you face if you try to go near her chicks. Please be careful. Mine were sweet as pick before and shortly after the chicks were born, but then after they were done and the chicks got out and all that man o man! You even look at her chicks and she's off that nest and screaming for the chicks to get back in the nest and they know what mommas saying cuz they run for the nest.

Quote:
The welsummer had hatched one more by this morning. I put it under the barred rock as well. She thanked me by giving me a good peck on the back of the hand. I think her attitude is already changing.

Congrats on the babies.

When I got home from work yesterday, my broody was sitting on two eggs she had swiped from someone during the day. I felt so guilty I had taken the others from her that I marked and gave her five eggs to sit on. I guess it's just wait and see.

Post pictures of your new babies when you get a chance.

Denise

Back
Top Bottom