These Nesting Boxes Okay?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Juise, Jul 20, 2011.

1. Juise

Juise Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2011
    We weren't expecting (from what we'd been told,) anyone to start laying for at least another month yet, if not two. So we were pretty surprised to find 3 eggs in their tractor today! I just finished knocking together some nesting boxes with what we had around. We have 5 hens. What do you think? Will these suffice for now? It is a metal basket divided with a cherry log. I painted the plywood for the roof with weatherproofing paint, and tilted it up at the front. The nesting material is dune grass. Anything I need to know, or have done wrong here? Will this open style work in a tractor?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here you can see the ridiculous way in which I angled the roof (which lifts off,) and stabilized it. Two triangular cedar blocks prop up the front, and four Easter egg halves glued on keep it shifting from side to side or falling off the triangular blocks. There is one more rectangular cedar block glued on the inside of the back to keep the entire thing sliding off backward. They'll look a bit less silly when I can put a coat of paint on them, hehe. There is a piece of carpet in the bottom under the nesting materials, as well.

[​IMG]

The official inspection. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    Hey, that works. Doesn't have to be pretty! They seem to be interested, so I'd say tomorrow you'll have some eggs in there. I'm using stackable plastic bins I got at big lots for $6/piece.
    [​IMG]

3. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    That is a very cute nesting box [​IMG]

4. DAFox

DAFox Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2009
    SW MO in Vernon Co
    Put, an egg in it -- fake or real -- so they get the idea that this is where they are supposed to lay. If they use it, then it is a good nest box. [​IMG]
    Dale-Ann

5. Juise

Juise Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2011
    Ahh! I remember hearing that before now. Thank you, will do!

6. j'aime mes poules

j'aime mes poules Out Of The Brooder

Jan 21, 2010
    New York
    I have golf balls in my nest... otherwise they forget where to lay ... silly birds:lol:

7. Noymira

Noymira Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2011
    Chittenden County, VT
    That looks great! I think that will do the job perfectly.

8. BarefootMom

BarefootMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Half Way, Missouri
    Quote:Love that idea!

OP- I think you will be getting eggs very soon! My chickens don't seem to care where they lay.

I have some they lay on my front porch in my chair...

some lay in a cardboard box in the rabbitry

1 lays on a shelf in the shop on top of some shop rags

2-3 lay under our smoker

and the rest will all lay in the back of the chicken house...but NOT in the nest boxes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by