They Are All Laying & I Am Overrun With Eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by dangerouschicken, Mar 16, 2009.

1. Chicken Fruit

Chicken Fruit Songster

Feb 25, 2009
    Echo Homestead
    i'd give them to the nieghbors that live closest to you.

you can freeze eggs too, for later use. I guess whites freeze best. My gramma froze eggs on the farm and used them in baking- not so much for frying.

http://www.momsbudget.com/freezercooking/eggs.html

2. scooter147

scooter147 Songster

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    I don't have the problem any more but when I had 75-80 hens I had eggs coming out my ears.
    I would donate to the local food bank.
    True, didn't get any of my feed money back but they went to folks less fortunate than me and I knew they were truely appreciated.

3. jvls1942

jvls1942 Free Ranging

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    SELL SELL SELL !!!!!!

just put a simple sign at the road.
    EGGS....... you will be turning people away, soon..

do not take less than $2.oo/doz.

and charge a quarter extra for the carton.. If they bring their own or extras just charge for the eggs..

do not give a discount for extra cartons.. they would have just been thrown away anyhow..

4. dangerouschicken

dangerouschicken Will Barter For Coffee

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    These are all great ideas!!! I used to trade with the local coffeeshop, but that guy has a new person, so I am out of luck there, but the idea of posting a sign AT the coffeeshop... now that is just brilliant [​IMG]

I think I am also going to put a sign down at the bottom of our drive. Maybe I will get a few folks that way and meet neighbors in the process [​IMG]

Thanks everyone for the suggestions!

5. Shared Acres

Shared Acres Songster

Aug 10, 2008
    Northeast Fla
    Donate-- good tax write off

OR

Sell fertile eggs on here.

6. hypnochyck

hypnochyck In the Brooder

Mar 11, 2009
    Benicia, CA
    I live in Northern California and volunteer for Lindsay Wildlife Museum. They have a wildlife hospital and rehabilitation center where release is the goal. We go through dozens and dozens of eggs every day. They are fed to the baby raccoons, opposums and many other animals while they are being rehabiliated to be returned to the wild.
    Check your area for wildlife rehab centers that may use eggs to feed their wildlife!
    Good luck!

7. hypnochyck

hypnochyck In the Brooder

Mar 11, 2009
    Benicia, CA
    And yes....I know that opposums and raccoons are the predatorial enemies of our chickens.......BUT.....I love all animals and wildlife and they all need our care.

8. Chicken Lil

Chicken Lil Songster

Nov 14, 2008
    Don't know if you work, but I have more people at my office wanting fresh eggs than I can provide. Perhaps your spouse (if you have one) can ask people at work, if you stay at home?

Good luck.

9. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Quote:Its so true, all the critters out there need our help!! Great thought!

10. Hooterville

Hooterville Songster

I'm right there with you! Since the girls started laying I've tried selling, giving away and lotsa eating! I still have more eggs than I can use! [​IMG]

Last week I got 24 dozen--time for a sign at the bottom of the driveway!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: